Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Triple boot?

• Please log in to reply

Brads2011

Brads2011

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am getting a new laptop sometime within the next few days and I was planning on having 3 operating systems on it, the laptop has 2x 500GB HDD's so I was thinking of having windows 7 on the first one, and then on the second HDD creating 3 partitions (25gb, 50gb and 425gb) and putting the other two OS on the two low size partitions and using the extra for storage.

How would I go about this safely? I was hoping to set up my BIOS so that HDD 1 auto boots win 7, and when I press F12 I had the option to boot from the second HDD and choose between the other two OS's.

Is this possible? Also I was hoping I could get some advice on how I would go about doing this. I was thinking to first install win 7 on HDD one, then partition HDD 2 with the windows utilities and then installing mac and then backtrack.

If I am an idiot and this won't work, please tell me =)

Advertisements

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I recommend obtaining Paragon Partition Manager 10 or Acronis Disk Director 11. Both include a handy Boot Manager. I think Acronis took over the Paragon software.

I am currently using the Paragon software to run 5 operating systems, which is a bit tricky to setup. Up to 4 operating systems is easy. I am planning to switch over to the Acronis Disk Director (I already bought it).

I recommend putting all the operating systems on the first hard disk. If you never intend to use more than 3, setup as follows: 3 operating systems in Primary partitions (about 60GB per system is ample) & some logical partitions in an extended partition. Use the second disk for data files. This will minimize Disk Head movement, saving a small amount of time & decreasing the mean time to failure for your disks. Moving Read/Write Heads is mechanical: It is slow; Mechanical failure is more likely than electronic failure.

Both the Paragon & Acronis software can resize partitons containing an OS and/or data. You can change the amount of space assigned to each OS if your original allocation is not good.

With a 250 GB disk, you can afford to have a Page File for each operating system in its own partition. You might consider having a common Page File on the second disk. I have three disks: Operating systems on the first; Data on the second, & a common Page file on third disk, using remaining space for interim backup (periodically offloading backup data to an external disk).

Note that all operating systems have access to the 2nd & 3rd disk. Data files in an OS partiton cannot be accessed by other operating systems.