Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Get Past XP Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply

lorrel

lorrel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I came here on the recommendation of a friend so I'm not exactly familiar with this site and how it works. That being said please let me know if I do anything wrong.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure if loading is the right word my problem. I'm not the most computer savvy. Basically what happened was I was running my computer like normal and it just suddenly shutdown. I thought it was a power out but noticed nothing else had turned off. So I booted up my computer again but it wouldn't get past the XP loading screen. I sat there for about 20 minutes with no change.

I then restarted my computer in Safe Mode (With Networking). I ran the CHKDSK but I'm not exactly sure if it finishes or not. It runs and I always tend to look away to do something and the window for it closes on it's own (not sure if it's supposed to).

After this I tried running the repair feature however, it prompts me for the admin password (which I thought by default was "admin") but that didn't work. I tried my login password with no success either.

I then reformatted my second hard drive and was able to access the OS normally (without safe mode).

So basically, I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do or try at this point that will prevent me from actually reformatting the hard drive it self and lose documents, have to reinstall all my programs etc.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows Repair, being unable to determine at that stage if a password has been set or not, will always prompt for one regardless.

Run repair again but when the password-prompt appears, just leave it blank if you're sure you never set one.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 February 2011 - 02:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I then reformatted my second hard drive and was able to access the OS normally (without safe mode).

IF this means, what it appears to MEAN, that everything is now normal with XP and all programs, applications etc work OK, then a repair install may not be necessary.
A repair install of Windows, as against a clean install SOULD leave all your personal documents and programs intact, although this is NEVER a guarantee.

HOWEVER even with a repair install you will still be back at the installation state of that repair
See this excellent guide from THIS site - Geeks to Go
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

and this excerpt from it
Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2011 - 04:10 PM.

lorrel

lorrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

IF this means, what it appears to MEAN, that everything is now normal with XP and all programs, applications etc work OK, then a repair install may not be necessary.
A repair install of Windows, as against a clean install SOULD leave all your personal documents and programs intact, although this is NEVER a guarantee.

HOWEVER even with a repair install you will still be back at the installation state of that repair
See this excellent guide from THIS site - Geeks to Go
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

and this excerpt from it
Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

I suppose I could have made that more clear. I completely wiped the drive. Installed XP on it and it's fine. I just need to find my drivers (network drivers since I can't access the internet).

I'm also assuming a "repair-install" literally just means using the repair feature? Unfortunately, as I pointed out in my original post there were password issues. I then (on the advice of the first person to reply) tried without a password with no success either. So I'm not exactly sure if any "repair" feature is actually doable now.

Either way it seems that I am going to have to update my drivers. I know how and where to obtain my video and sound drivers but I'm not sure about my network drivers. Is there an easy way for someone to find out what I need and where to get it? I have even less knowledge with networking that operating systems. ._.'

Thanks again for the response. I appreciate you taking the time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to supply some information first before the guys can help.
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Name brand or custom built?
If name brand what make and model?
If custom built what motherboard make and model?
This will help them find your drivers you need.

lorrel

lorrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You need to supply some information first before the guys can help.
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Name brand or custom built?
If name brand what make and model?
If custom built what motherboard make and model?
This will help them find your drivers you need.

Sorry for the delay. I should mention (again) I'm not the best with Hardware so if this is inaccurate please let me know and I'll try and fix it.

Q: Is it a Laptop or Desktop?
A: Desktop

Q: Name brand or custom built.
A: It's custom built, however, I didn't build it myself.

Q: If custom built what motherboard make and model.
A: Asus. A8N-VM CSM. (It's old, I know. =/)

I hope this is accurate and answers your questions. Thank you again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start
Right click My Computer
click Properties
Cick the Hard ware tab
Click the Device Manager button
What is show against Network adaptors - expand with the small + symbol
Is there an unknown device shown.

Is this a wired internet connection
If so does the ethernet cable connect to the main I/O plate that is where the mouse, keyboard connect or is it connected further down the case on a separate area.
Posted Image Here as on this image or further down the case.

lorrel

lorrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Go start
Right click My Computer
click Properties
Cick the Hard ware tab
Click the Device Manager button
What is show against Network adaptors - expand with the small + symbol
Is there an unknown device shown.

Is this a wired internet connection
If so does the ethernet cable connect to the main I/O plate that is where the mouse, keyboard connect or is it connected further down the case on a separate area.
Posted Image Here as on this image or further down the case.

It shows up as "NVIDIA nFORCE Networking Controller".

Yes, it is a wired internet connection. The ethernet cable is connected in the same place where the USB ports (where I'd have my mouse and keyboard) are. Same as the image.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here is the link
http://support.asus....odel=A8N-VM CSM

Download the chipset drivers.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2011 - 03:59 PM.

lorrel

lorrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Here is the link
http://support.asus....odel=A8N-VM CSM

Download the chipset drivers.

Thank you very much!

Edit: There are actually a couple of drivers named chipset in that list. Which one do I want specifically? =/
(I'm sorry for these stupid questions!)

Edited by lorrel, 13 February 2011 - 04:46 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You go to the link you click to select your operating system ie XP
presuming it is 32 bit that is just the XP and not the xp 64 bit.
You then go to the OTHERS, expand it and there is ONLY ONE chipset driver download the other is a cool and quite - you do not need it.

In case you were then going to ask HAVE I got 32 or 64bit.
Start, right click My computer, click properties and on the general tab it will tell you. It will NOT say 32bit, if that is what you havem but it WILL SAY 64bit if that is what you have.

• For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
  • For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
OR whatever version of XP ie Home etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2011 - 05:09 PM.

lorrel

lorrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You go to the link you click to select your operating system ie XP
presuming it is 32 bit that is just the XP and not the xp 64 bit.
You then go to the OTHERS, expand it and there is ONLY ONE chipset driver download the other is a cool and quite - you do not need it.

In case you were then going to ask HAVE I got 32 or 64bit.
Start, right click My computer, click properties and on the general tab it will tell you. It will NOT say 32bit, if that is what you havem but it WILL SAY 64bit if that is what you have.

• For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
  • For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.
OR whatever version of XP ie Home etc.

I appreciate the hand-holding for this. I really do! I'll get the drivers and see if that fixes my problem later today.

Thank you again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Hope it is OK
Please do post and let me know.
Please also then wait even if this has worked, as I feel certain there will be more to do.