Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting Issue, Horrible Performance Issue

• Please log in to reply

yodasclown

yodasclown

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK guys, I've done everything I know to do. Now I leave my problem in your hands. I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

My system is a Dell Studio XPS operating Windows Vista. I have plenty of hard drive and 6 GB of RAM. Several months ago, my computer started acting very odd at startup. Pretty soon, the only way I could get it to finish booting is if I ALT-12'd it to Boot Options and then canceled out. For some reason, that's the only way it will boot....and that is only if there isn't a sudden freeze.

For this reason, I got fed up with using my desktop and cut it off for about two weeks. Tonight, I cut it on and went through my ALT-12 ritual and, after startup, EVERYTHING was sluggish. Programs wouldn't open....alt ctrl delete wouldn't even bring up my task manager. In stead, I got a pop up saying FAILURE.

I looked into my built-in maintenance programs to see if any of them could locate issues. I ended up running Windows "Reliability and Performance Monitor" Couldn't make heads or tales of it. Any suggestions?

Advertisements