Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a question of legality

• Please log in to reply

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
is an EULA the word of the law

for instance - mac os x

in the os x eula it says this

http://macdailynews....5/macosx105.pdf

this licence allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the apple software on a single apple-labelled computer at a time

what is an apple labelled computer ?
does this make it illegal to install os x on a pc

if it does then is installing products with wine (for linux) illegal

for instance - internet explorer 6

http://technet.micro...y/cc976720.aspx

NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID EULA FOR ANY "OS PRODUCT" (MICROSOFT WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM PRODUCT, ANY MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT WORKSTATION OPERATING SYSTEM, OR ANY MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT SERVER OPERATING SYSTEM), YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO INSTALL, COPY, OR OTHERWISE USE THE OS COMPONENTS AND YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER THIS SUPPLEMENTAL EULA.

Edited by calvert, 12 February 2011 - 05:33 AM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Firstly, IANAL.

An EULA is a contract between yourself and the software maker. If you accept the EULA you are agreeing to follow the usage guidelines contained within.

Retail and OEM versions of Windows often permit one copy of the software on one computer. Certain Office products may allow you to install the software on up to three computers.

Microsoft tends to stress the importance of both activation and validation as indicated by the bold font in either section of the Windows 7 EULA.

Depending on which country you live in, you may have additional rights, which supersede the EULA.

calvert

calvert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i'm a little confused here,

i don't have windows, so i havn't accepted a windows agreement - but i still have ie6 running in wine

it is a component of an operating system - and according to the EULA i am not authorised to install it

so am i breaking the law ?

the piccy is to show

Attached Thumbnails

• snapshot4.png

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

i'm a little confused here,

i don't have windows, so i havn't accepted a windows agreement - but i still have ie6 running in wine

it is a component of an operating system - and according to the EULA i am not authorised to install it

so am i breaking the law ?

According to the Supplemental EULA you might be in breach of it as you do not own a copy of Windows. At worst, it's a matter of civil tort law, not a criminal matter.

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
To answer your question, yes, it is illegal to own a copy of OSX on a PC computer. For some reason, Apple is quite strict about it and even went out of their way to make installing OSX on a PC extremely difficult. You may as well give up the attempt if you do not have an Intel or an AMD processor. Is it possible? Yes. Is it legal? No.