Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Change Display from 640 x 480 (16 colors)

• Please log in to reply

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Pip
  • 9 posts
How do I configure my video card?

I am running an HP Pavilion Elite m9080n PC with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card and Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2. After my last Windows Update, my computer freezes and I must shut off the power. When I turned on the power, my display is 640 x 480 (16 colors) and I can't change it.

I have tried Personalize (the monitor settings will not accept changes), a clean boot using System Configuration, uninstalling updates, uninstalling drivers, re-installing updates, re-installing drivers, ... , all programs are working fine, except my display.

NVIDIA Control Panel tells me my display is not currently attached to an NVIDIA GPU. PC Doctor tells me I have a misconfigured video card. So, how do I configure my video card?

(I have already tried Microsoft Support and HP Help.)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Try this http://www.freewaref...gram_13538.html

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

NVIDIA Control Panel tells me my display is not currently attached to an NVIDIA GPU. PC Doctor tells me I have a misconfigured video card. So, how do I configure my video card?

So what graphics are shown as in use. either on display settings or device manager - graphics adaptor.
http://pcsupport.abo...opendmvista.htm

Go HERE for your driver not to Nvidia.
http://h10010.www1.h...4-81049172.html

I have just had a look and although we usually recommend the manufacturers site for THE computer,if of course it is the original graphics card - it appears HP do not offer a driver. The reason we always say the manufacturer of the computer is that on many occasions albeit it may be shown as a Nvidia it is in fact a special manufactured for, in this case, HP.
I would go here as well as the above
http://h10025.www1.h...554/loc:0&cc=ca
insert the necessary details to personalize the issue and see what HP do offer.
If they do not make any download available, then it SHOULD mean that you have the latest, alternatively there is a link to Nvidia.
I suggest if all else fails that you try an earlier driver from Nvidia for that card and of course your O/S

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2011 - 07:16 AM.

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Device Manager says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Nothing changed after uninstalling, and re-installing, the latest driver from NVIDIA. (Also, I scanned for malware and found nothing.)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Back in Device Manager are there any hidden devices with warnings, that is on the view tab in device manager, click to show hidden devices. If so what please.
If possible resolve those issues if there are any,
Then go as follows please.

1. Please see this link.
http://h10025.www1.h...54&lang=en#N453

It is the spec for your computer.

2. Please open the case and check that the fan on the graphics card is clean and the other fans are clean. especially of course the CPU fan and cooling fins.
A very soft brush is ideal, do NOT use a vacuum cleaner. If you have an air duster spray, exercise caution when spraying fans, the air duster can cause them to spin so fast that it destroys the bush in which the fan runs.
I DO NOT THINK THIS IS THE PROBLEM, but a check will do no harm.

3. I notice that the computer was supplied with either the integrated graphics on the motherboard, or this Nvidia card.
Enter BIOS normally F2 on post and ensure that integrated graphics is DISABLED.

4.GO to this link and try this Unified driver graphics update from HP.
Follow carefully the instructions for downloading and installing please - view directions heading at the top of the driver notes.
http://h10025.www1.h...ct=3550554#N180

Selecting of course the Vista or Vista 64bit depending on which Vista Ultimate it is.

Windows Vista or Windows 7
If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Method 1: View System window in Control Panel
  • Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this imagePosted Image, type system in the Start Search box, and then click system in the Programs list.
  • The operating system is displayed as follows:
  • For a 64-bit version operating system: 64-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.
  • For a 32-bit version operating system: 32-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2011 - 08:02 AM.

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No hidden devices with warnings. Cleaned the fans... they needed it, but it didn't solve the problem. Can't find integrated graphics in BIOS. Tried NVIDIA Unified Graphics Driver Update... nothing. Tried RivaTuner... nothing. Tried PCFixer... nothing.

As I write this reply, without warning, my display fixes itself.

Witchcraft?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you installed that driver from HP if it was NOT a self executing install did you ensure that you manually installed it, rather than allowing windows to automatically find the driver, as of course that would find the driver you had before.

Similarly with the Nvidia site drivers.

I would run Speedfan or PC Wizard, check the temps on that graphics card. Overheating may have caused a protection circuit to place the card in Safe mode on the lower graphics.
I have NOT checked if this is within the spec.

If it raises its head again I would run
1. Driver verifier - this is built into windows.
2. I would run Secunia online scan -

Do you wish the links please.

PCFixer - I have NO knowledge of the program. It MAY be excellent. However a quick look at the site if it is Digital Technology - convinces me that I would not use it.. If you look at FAQ`s there are ONLY six.. I also see they offer a registry cleaner. PLEASE NEVER use these programs.

RivaTuner - used extensively on Nvidia hardware, mainly in the gaming community as basically a tweaking tool.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 February 2011 - 12:35 PM.