Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

avast! Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
If I purchase avast! Internet Security, do I still need a Firewall? I used to have the free avast! + PC Tools Firewall Plus + SpywareBlaster, and the manual programs were SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I also used CCleaner. Need a free version of a Reg cleaner. I am considering just purchasing the avast! Internet Security. Do I need all the other programs with it? If so, I will just stick to the free versions that I previously used on my XP system. I currently have Norton on my Win7 system, but it is getting ready to expire. I would appreciate any advice on this. :D

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi I have Avast internet security and in conjuction with this I have the free version of MBAM - and that is it... The firewall on Avast is a silent one unless something untoward is happening - so it is set and forget. If you have any questions just shout

I never mess with my registry (and I know what I am doing) so I could not recommend any of that type of programme

Rather than CC I use TFC by OldTimer as it tends to get more rubbish out

If you are using IE8 or IE9 then there is no requirement for Spywareblaster or a dedicated Host file

Before you install Avast on your Win 7 system it is advisable to use the Norton removal tool to remove all traces of it

I am currently trialing AIS version 6 and there are a few extra bonuses coming with that : Such as Sandbox (both auto and manual) and an enhanced behaviour shield

[attachment=47792:Capture.GIF]

[attachment=47793:Capture1.GIF]

[attachment=47794:Capture2.GIF]

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Essexboy, thanks for the info. I will definitely consider AIS now. It sounds like it might be good to use. I mostly use FireFox for my browser, so do you still think I don't need SpywareBlaster? I didn't have any problems with the free version of avast! plus a firewall, but the AIS is so inexpensive, that I thought it might be a better choice. So you would suggest that over the free versions what I was previously using? It would definitely be easier for me not to have to load and maintain so many programs. Again, I appreciate your input.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Firefox is also protected by the IE host and killbit protection

For ease of use and maintenance it is a good start, just one programme that is fully integrated and MBAM should suffice for most users with a basic to medium system knowledge

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Okay, that sounds like it might work for me then. Thanks for the advice. :D

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure any problems just shout, or visit the Avast forum where I also do some work

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Essexboy, I removed Norton and went ahead and installed all the free versions that I had on my XP system, because I can't afford the AIS right now. Here's what I installed: avast! (free), PC Tools Firewall Plus (free) and SpywareBlaster. I already had SAS and CCleaner installed. After I went back online, Windows Defender wanted to update and run a scan. I am not familiar with this, because I just started using Win7. Will this cause a conflict with any of the other programs I have? If so, which ones should I uninstall? Since I am so new to Win7, I don't know how good the Firewall or WD is. Are they sufficient to protect my computer without PC Tools Firewall and SpywareBlaster? I wish I had my XP back. I just can't get used to Win7. It seems I have to make 3 steps to my 1 in XP. And I can't find anything. Thanks in advance for your input. You have been such a great help to me.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Oh I forgot to say that I haven't installed MBAM yet. Hope this won't conflict with anything.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Windows 7 firewall is quite robust, prior to getting AIS I never used a firewall

I leave windows defender running and it does not conflict with anything

Also there is no requirement for Spywareblaster as IE8 has it's own built in killbit list

Once you get used to 7 you will find it more stable and responsive than XP

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
So would you recommend using only Win7 firewall instead of PC Tools Firewall? I have never had any problems with PC Tools, but if the Win7 version is sufficient or better, then I will go with that one. And I hope you are right about getting used to Win7, because right now I want to throw it out :D . When I open Windows Explorer or even Control Panel, it takes me forever to find anything. But I guess I'm stuck with it now whether I like it or not. I just hope I can learn how to use it within the next 10 years or so....LOL

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
7 is very customisable - for control panel you will find a link on the top left that says classic view - click that

To customise the start menu right click on the task bar select properties and have a play

As long as you do not visit dodgy sites and have a password protected router the windows firewall should suffice