Does it blue screen, when loading windows in normal mode and hang at mup.sys in Safe Mode.
If you cannot get anything at all in normal startup - even a BSOD, then insert the XP CD. a enter BIOS and set boot priority to the CD drive as first device.
Load the recovery console - that is To repair windows using the recovery console press R.
It will more than likely ask for a password. This is the admin password, not necessarily the password you use to enter windows.
TRY it blank first.
If not try any passwords you have for windows.
See this guide
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:
How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
- Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
- When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
- When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
- At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:
- Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
- Report any errors
OR this onehttp://pcsupport.abo.../rconsole_3.htm
Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2011 - 05:50 PM.