Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help building a secure Valentine's Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
2 years ago I gave a girl a netbook. The brand was asus ee pc and it was equipped with intel atom. It was kinda sluggish and slow but she said she likes it because it's light and convenient to carry around. Several days ago, the netbook is having problem. I was out of city at the time but according to her, the system became slow so she started up avast. One virus is found and avast tried to remove it but restart is required. But after waiting for few minutes the netbook stalled. It did not shut down. So she hold down the power up to turn of the netbook. When she tried to turn it on, only black screen appeared. She brought it to a local computer shop then they tried to remove the batter then installed it again, finally the netbook can be turned on properly. The technician adviced her to wait a day until a full diagnosis can be given. The next day they told her that they found the virus and the motherboard is having an issue but unfortunately it cannot be repaired.

To fold things up and while valentine's day is coming, I bought her: http://www.amazon.co...97589230&sr=1-3
I'm hoping she will like it because that laptop is currently #3 on the amazon site.

I truly need help on how to make that laptop securely protected from viruses and any other issue. She likes to watch drama from mysoju.com and I think she got the virus from the pop-ups there. Even Avast couldn't protect her netbook from it. I told her she might pressed a button that allows the virus to get installed.

Advertisements

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Axelion.
If you want to get protected from those stuff. Maybe tell her to go to one of those safer video sites rather then mysoju.com (sorry never hear that site) .
Maybe tudou.com or some place simliar? But remember, watching dramas and other videos online is never safe now that we're in the virus generation.
What internet program is she currently using. If she's using internet explorer it would be better off for her to use other internet browsers. Like, firefox, chorme, opera, safir, and many more that are safer.
Currently I am using firefox, and within the firefox page, you get to download apps. There is this app called Adblock Plus : Adblock Plus
Download Firefox Here if you dont already have firefox in that netbook.
Adblock Plus, is a app that will block all your ad that pops out, so no virus would be poppin out of your website anytime. So far i been using firefox and adblock to watch my drama. And i dont have much problems with computer slowing down or anything.