Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI Radeon HD 2400 driver problem

• Please log in to reply

barroy

barroy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Here's the story -

I have an Asus F3SR, running XP Pro, which I believe has an ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics card. I had the driver installed for years, worked fine, but recently I've been getting the BSOD and I think it might have been to do with the driver for this, as it seemed to happen when using YouTube.

So, I went to reinstall the driver. I had the installer saved on the hard disk so I ran this, but at the end of the install process, it said "the system couldn't find the file specified". I tried downloading the driver from the ATI website, which redirected me to the Asus website, which didn't seem to have the right one either. I tried to download a Catalyst Control Centre, but that just disabled the driver completely and now it's not working at all, ie I cant get the normal higher resolution. XP recognises it as new hardware, I choose install software automatically, and again get the response about not finding the file specified.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this as I've been trying for hours and I think I might be making things worse. Tinkering with drivers I think is a bad idea unless you're sure you know what you're doing... Thanks

Advertisements

barroy

barroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
To clarify: I downloaded and ran the VGA driver from the Asus website. It ran the ATI install program, copied files to the system folder, but I ended up with the message "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit." This was downloaded from the page for my specific model laptop on their website, so I don't know why it's not compatible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi barroy :D
Try the latest Drivers from here http://support.amd.c...words=&items=20 check for any available Hotfixes whilst you are there and let us know how you get on.

barroy

barroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for replying. I tried the AMD website, it said to refer to the manufacturer's website for drivers. Went to the Asus website, they had a downloader which ran Catalyst, but gave me the same response as before after downloading and copying the files to the system folder.

Edited by barroy, 13 February 2011 - 01:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
What a pain that is, its as if AMD is passing the book, Asus may have made the system but they didn`t make the GPU :D
Before attempting to reinstall the drivers did you remove all evidence of the previous drivers, CCC and anything else to do with ATI, this allows for a clean install and can prevent potential conflicts, sorry to say but ATI suck where drivers are concerned.
I will try and find another source of the drivers for you and then post back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Try these here http://www.driverspr...d=3&srcid=as101

barroy

barroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
driver navigator looks like it might work, says 51 new or updated drivers found... but then asks for $30 to get them. sounds suspiciously like these registry cleaners and various other scareware programs that tell you all sorts of stuff is wrong and you need to buy the program to fix it.

ill try uninstalling all the ATI stuff in safe mode and reinstalling with the file from AMD once its all gone, ill let you know. cheers for the advice

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You may have clicked on the wrong tab by mistake as what I was directing you to was a single asus driver, because of all the other junk on the page I started to download the driver to be sure, no charge was mentioned and I canceled the install, I will go back and check it out.

ill try uninstalling all the ATI stuff in safe mode and reinstalling with the file from AMD once its all gone,

Good plan :D

Edit: I see what you mean, it leads you to believe the driver is downloading when it is actually downloading a retail package, I will find another option making sure it is free this time.
Latest driver I could find is dated 2010/09/27 http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

Edited by phillpower2, 13 February 2011 - 03:57 PM.

barroy

barroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, sorry been away for a while. i tried booting in safe mode to delete all ATI files like i heard would solve this, but i searched for files with "ati" in the name and theres hundreds littered across the system folder. i dont really feel comfortable deleting so many files from this folder... when i uninstall the driver through device manager and reinstall it by running the program i downloaded from the asus website, i get the same message: "setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. setup will now exit."

is it really a good idea to delete all the files with ATI in the name from the windows\system folder before i (try to) reinstall the driver..?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Download and save the drivers to your desktop first then;
Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programmes and uninstall any ATI or CCC software from there.
Reboot your computer and install the drivers from your desktop.
Before you do the above can you post a screen shot of the Add/Remove Programmes page so we can
see what ATI and CCC entries there are.

barroy

barroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, theres loads of programs, dont know what half of them are, but here goes:

Attached Thumbnails

• progs1.JPG
  • progs2.JPG
  • progs3.JPG
  • progs4.JPG
  • progs5.JPG
  • progs6.JPG
  • progs7.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
In the 2nd screen shot top row you will see 2 entries listed as DNA-ATI 5.1.7. 5X32 and DNA-ATI Files Uninstall.
These both need to be removed, where did you come by these? they are hacked versions and are not supported by ATI which may be the cause of your problem, once they are removed download and save the official drivers and follow the steps suggested in previous posts.
http://downloads.gur...nload-2057.html The page clearly states that no responsibility will be taken if you use the hacked drivers.

barroy

barroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
tried that already, the DNA drivers were what i tried when the ATI one didnt work. however, what appears to have solved the initial problem is removing adobe flash 10, which seems to cause problems in google chrome, and installing version 9 instead. chrome no longer crashes, so i just used system restore to roll back to before i started meddling with the drivers in the first place, changed to flash 9 and i'm going to leave it at that i think. thanks for the help though, i appreciate the advice and your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No worries, thanks for posting the work around :D