Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair (no CD)

• Please log in to reply

a-cat

a-cat

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Need some help please - -

PC recently had Whitsmoke Translator virus (see my topic in malware forum). Logs are now clean but I was unable to perform SFC Scannow and repair system files. Several files were highlighted as needing repair; it kept referring > CD. Now, when PC boots annoying message appears on desktop 'Configuring Photo Gallery' and I have to cancel several times to get rid of it.

XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 - no disc provided by manufacturer.

Malware tech suggested I post here.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Trusted, thanks much for the quick reply. Will follow your instructions tonight (after work) and report back if I run into any issues.

Appreciate the help! :D

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Trusted, Source Path is already C:\WINDOWS. Any other suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
[Q]DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS[/Q]

Likely a stupid question, but if chkdsk operation will take several hours should I be concerned about idle or sleep mode?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest disabling those options during this phase to be sure.
If you need to turn your monitor off but depending on the size of your hd it could take 30 minutes to a few hours to complete.

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Typed in Chkdsk /r and waited (what I thought) was a minute or so for the reboot - nothing. I did a restart manually and then saw the End Program message. Upon reboot, no chkdsk operation.

Try again and have a bit more patience?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try again. It should ask you if you want to schedule it for the next restart.

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Performed chkdsk /r operation. On reboot(when desktop is loading) I still get Windows Installer message; trying to configure Photo Gallery.

Thoughts?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I still get Windows Installer message; trying to configure Photo Gallery.

What message exactly?

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Been thinking about this all morning...

SCAN - Post typing Chkdsk /r in Run, I waited 10-12 minutes but PC would not reboot on its own. So I clicked Start / Restart. Received an End Program message when powering down but, Chkdsk screen did appear on reboot. Stages 1-3 went very fast, stage (4) 30-40 minutes; stage (5) 45 minutes (I'd say 2 hrs total). Why the End Program message? How do I know Chkdsk /r ran vs. some other simple Chkdsk verification scan? Note, during scan there was never 1+ hour pause on % nor did it back-up or go over the same area.

ERROR MESSAGE - When PC reboots, a Windows Installer box pops-up trying to configure PhotoGallery. It prompts for a PhotoGallery disc in order to install and I have to click / cancel several times to get rid of it. Posters (other threads) think its related > HP printer, which we have and they suggest:

Insert HP disc supplied w/printer
Go to Start then Run type "X:\Photogallery\PhotoGallery.msi"
(Replacing X with the CD-ROM drive letter and leave out quotes)

PC appears to run fine with the exception of this annoying message on reboot.

My post here was a concern the problem was a 'deeper' XP issue because I was unable to perform Sfc scan while trying to get rid of Whitesmoke virus.

So, do you think Chkdsk /r actually ran - - and - - should I try the HP disc?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

do you think Chkdsk /r actually ran

Yes it ran with the 5 stages it was suppose to do.

First of all is Photo Gallery something you use?
If not please do the following and let me know what you find.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything that has to do with Photo Gallery and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem

Post back with the results

a-cat

a-cat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
On startup tab, there was nothing relating to Photo Gallery so I un-ticked HP Image Zone and HP Digital Fast Start. Reboot. No Photo Gallery message but, I did receive the following System Configuration Utility window.

"You have used System Config Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The System Config Utility is currently in diagnostic or selective start up mode causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
Choose the Normal Startup mode on General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using System Config Utility."

1. If I go to General tab and tick 'start Windows normally' will that re-tick the HP items and put me back to receiving the Windows Installer / Photo Gallery pop-up?
2. Our HP printer broke (internal part) so we no longer use. Have a Canon i560 now which might also be related to the Photo Gallery message. Should I go to Add /
Remove and uninstall HP printer and all its components - - then reinstall the Canon i560?
3. On reboot, I noticed the End Program message again - - ugggh, what could that be?

As always, thanks so much for your help! :D I'll wait to hear next steps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

You have used System Config Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The System Config Utility is currently in diagnostic or selective start up mode causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.
Choose the Normal Startup mode on General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using System Config Utility."

This nag message appears when you change the mscondif and will continue until you click the little box on the lower left of the message box that says Do Not Display this message again or something like that.
The first step is to uninstall the HP prineter completely.
Then Click Normal Startup on the msconfig window.
Then install the Canon Printer.
Reboot and you should no longer get the annoying nag message or the Photo message and everything should be back to normal finally. :D