Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Vostro 200 CD/DVD drives unable to access/re-install

• Please log in to reply

6t8gt

6t8gt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all, the computer (Dell Vostro 200) is my wifes from her work (small church). After informing me that she can't get online anymore from getting a virus on it, I said I'd fix it for her. She said it got a virus about 3 months back - nice. The virus(s) are dug in deep, real deep. Just quickly, system restore is gone and I can't eliminate the virus in safe mode either with Spybot or AVG. So, I decided to redo the whole machine. I'm not posting in the virus section because I decided to use the Dell system reinstall disc that came with the computer and redo the whole thing. However, I discovered that both the CD/DVD ROM and the RW CD/DVD drives won't operate. I've uninstalled them and rebooted in both safe mode and normal modes, and even tried the find new hardware command etc and I get an error that says the driver may be corrupted or is missing. I went to Dell's driver download section and downloaded the drivers for this, and I can't get the re-install driver to find anything in the directory that I unzipped the files to. Since there are two drives and neither of them will work, I'm defaulting to believe that a virus has somehow disabled the drives, not that both drives have failed. I do hear the disc spin (not very fast) and I believe I hear the head move when a disc is inserted. I've been around computers for 12 years and done my fair share of regedit over the years to remove issues on the computer, so I'm not new at fixing a computer. But, at this time this is the most infected machine I've seen and I'd just like the drives to work so I can save our data and then wipe the machine clean and start over. Anyone got any ideas.

Edited by 6t8gt, 14 February 2011 - 01:21 PM.

Advertisements