Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows does not load

• Please log in to reply

Deathickz

Deathickz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Upon starting, it goes okay, but the black screen between the loading and login screen, it just turns off and restart. The CD is of no use, since Startup Repair fails to run. Preforming an in-place upgrade fails, and gives me an error code. I tried to install Windows 7, which produced yet another error code. If this is resolved, I got another problem. Uxtheme.dll is "missing", leaving me a black screen with only a mouse. Trying to start explorer.exe or tskmgr.exe results in "uxtheme.dll is missing or corrupt. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." That aside, to fix the dll, we need to fix the start-up problem. Safe mode does not work, just adding that in advance.

Advertisements

Deathickz

Deathickz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can anyone please help :D?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
On powering up can you enter the BIOS by tapping the Del key constantly, you need to do this so you can change the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive 1st and the HDD 2nd, post back whether you have done this or if you require assistance with "How To".

Deathickz

Deathickz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Done, but now I get a BCD error. I think the path was BCD\BCD. I forgot the command prompt to fix that 0.0. I have the installation CD ready. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have carefully read your original post.

I am having difficulty following exactly WHAT you have done.

Here is the Microsoft guide to Vista Startup repair.
http://windows.micro...asked-questions

I have two immediate questions
1. What is the make and model of the computer if branded.
2. If startup repair failed to run - is it the Microsoft Vista disc OR an OEM disc provided with the computer if so WHAT IS IT actually labelled. as it may well not have the option of the startup repair.

See this.
Pre-Installed and OEM versions: (please check with your manufacturer fist. They may have replaced these tools with their own.

a. Turn your computer on and start pressing the F8 key. If you see the Windows Vista Logo you have gone too far and need to reboot and try again

b. You will get an advanced options screen. Select the "Repair your computer option" and hit enter.

c. Select your language and hit next.

d.. Enter your user name and password and then next.

e. The recovery options should now appear.

f. In most cases just using the system restore to set your computer back will solve your issue. If this is not the case try the Startup repair option.

My other question is:

3. Why ever would you try to install Windows7 before sorting out the problem with Vista.

4. How far did this attempted installation proceed

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 February 2011 - 05:48 PM.