Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running a server behind a university campus network

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi there,

I'm at a university campus, and would like to set up a certain type of game server to allow just some friends who are in the same dorm to connect. Obviously, I can't open up ports in the university's network to allow my server to accept connections from the WAN or internet, but I do have a (Wireless-N) router configured so that my server can run and anyone who shares the router's connection with me will be able to connect (i.e. my roommate can connect to my server if he's plugged into the router). Unfortunately, with all the walls in this dorm being made of concrete, the signal doesn't travel more than one or two rooms down the hallway, so simply having them connect wirelessly is not an option.

Is there any way I can set up a VPN or something to allow people to "get behind" my router without actually being connected to it? Keep in mind I can't do any port forwarding or make any changes to anything that's ahead of my router in the network.

Edited by W-Unit, 14 February 2011 - 08:09 PM.

Advertisements