Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 install woes

• Please log in to reply

gvr4ever

gvr4ever

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had a new computer for about three weeks now and I have yet been able to install windows 7 due to being unable to format the HD. Getting error code 0x80070057.

Hareware list can be found here. http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.579810 I thought going with a "tested"? combo would be better then picking parts on my own, but I guess not.

I actually returned the first hard drive because windows 7, XP, 2000 etc all failed and came up with errors trying to format the drive. Without doing too much research, other then the Barracuda's have a high failure rate, I figured I just got a bad drive. After getting a 2nd one and having the exact same problem, I almost pulled my hair out. After digging farther, I tried gparted live bootup disk. When I format the drive to ntfs and I get a succesfull finished message and then I try and install Win7 I get a blue screen and a message to run fdisk. I actually went to best buy to buy a different brand hard drive. Exact same thing.

Sata configuration is set to IDE, NOT RAID. The mobo DVD does not have any sata drivers (that I can find) and I can't find any online. From what I'm reading, sata IDE or the HDs don't need drivers. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Please note* I am not trying to set up any raid as almost all my google searches return the fix as loaded raid drivers.

I have moved the sata cable and tried other ports. I've removed all hardware, and even disabled the onboard nic, and tried to make it as bare bones as possible, and only ran one memory stick. All the tricks and tips I've searched are not working for me.

Any other ideals? What am I missing?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Windows 7 supports SATA controllers natively (it's the controller that needs a driver, not the hard drive connected to it) so you don't need to install a driver during Windows installation, unlike XP & Vista. It's why some new motherboard manufacturer's don't supply a SATA driver - you don't it to install Win7.

The hard drive is evidently not causing the error. With Windows 7, you should be able to install Windows 7 on to a new drive even if it has no partitions on it, or a partition that isn't formatted. Windows 7 Setup can perform both those tasks, all you have to do is point it to the relevant drive.

Go back into the BIOS Setup and check that SATA is actually enabled.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 15 February 2011 - 06:56 AM.

gvr4ever

gvr4ever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, BIOS is seeing the drive. I actually got it figured out. I thought I changed SATA ports before, but I think I only changed cables and I moved the DVD drive to a different one. Anyway Sata port #1 seems to be bad. Changed the HD to two and installed Win 7 last night. Why BIOS could see everything about the HD is beyond me. Maybe it could read, but not write to the drive or something.

At least its fixed now and I really wanted an extra drive in the end. My old computer is good enough for XBMC live and now I have 1TB for it.