Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

upgrade XP Sp3

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My daughter bought me Windows 7 and I run XP SP3, so I bought online Vista Home premium to enable me to upgrade from Xp, problem is, when I get to a certain point of the Vista installation, I am told I need to uninstall "Windows power shell" and "NET.Framework 2.0", also said I had to uninstall messenger ver 5.1 which I have done.

Can you advise if where I may find "Power shell", and I cannot uninstall "NET.Framework 2.o", wont allow me.

Also I am supposed to disable my antivirus, I am running the paid for version of AVG and I cannot see where to disable this software.

Any help will be appreciated

PS--- can you tell me if there is a later version of Powder Toy 2, someone mentioned Powder Toy 2010, and I can't find this.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Installing Windows 7 via you're intended method is both "messy" & uneccessarily time-consuming.

You would be much better off doing a "clean install" of Windows 7 on to an empty partition.
This would not only solve your current problems but would result in a more stable system with no "leftovers" from XP or Vista on it.
Of course you will need to back up all your existing user files first, to an external hard-drive if necessary.

Your Windows 7 may be an "upgrade" version but don't worry, it will still install on to an empty drive. Just insert the Vista disc when prompted so the Windows 7 installer can check that it does exist. Then put the Windows 7 DVD back in and setup will continue.

However, you first need to be sure that your PC is actually capable of running Windows 7 without any "incompatible hardware" surprises waiting to slap you in the face. You can check by visiting Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor website here: http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx

You will also need to check that you can get Windows 7 drivers for any hardware inside your PC which aren't supplied on the Win7 DVD.
The PC manufacturer's website is the place to check for that. Make sure they've got Windows 7 drivers for your model just in case
Windows 7 doesn't have all the required drivers. You'll know which drivers need installing manually by checking Device Manager after Win7 has been installed.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 15 February 2011 - 07:15 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have run the Microsoft update program and this informed me to increase my ram to 1GB, which I have done, I have an external hard drive and did a back up using a free program called "Easeus Todo Backup V2" and have found I cannot open the backed up programs from the external hard drive, hence the messy way I am trying.

You may know of a better backup program that I could try.

Would there be any advantage if I was to install another new internal hard drive and install Windows7 to this drive?, and if I did this, would I be able to transfer my user files across to the new drive?.

Thanks for any help you may give