Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OptionalFeatures.exe system error

• Please log in to reply

Matti123

Matti123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I use windows 7. I first noticed there was something wrong when I tried to uninstall a program trough the configuration screen. When clicking the "remove a program"-option under the Programs and Features category, nothing happened. Instead of listing up programs etc. windows simply did not respond.

So I tried another one of the options in Programs and Features: "enable or disable windows features" (maybe not exact English title; freely translated) and an error appears:

OptionalFeatures.exe system error
Program cannot be started because appwiz.cpl is missing on your computer. You might be able to solve the problem by reinstalling the program.

Lastly, I tried another option (still same category): "Show installed updates" and another error appears:

Can't find file
::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0...:{D450A8A1-9568-45C7-9C0E-B4F9FB4537BD}. Please check you've entered the correct file name and then try again.

This is the first time that I get errors by just using the configuration options. I figured it might be a registry problem and was thinkin CCleaner might help?

Also, I recall that my last automatic windows update didn't install correctly at first. Maybe that has caused this?

I haven't got a clue how to fix this, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Matti123

Advertisements

Kalin Stefanov

Kalin Stefanov

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem and I-m triing to fix it. Have you found any salutions?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
have a read of this site

http://www.ehow.com/...-appwizcpl.html

The Appwiz.cpl file is responsible for launching the programs and features component in the Windows Control Panel. This file is located in the System32 directory and is launched using the Rundll.exe container file. The Rundll.exe executable file reads the Appwiz.cpl and loads a visual representation of the data within the component into the Windows interface. When a problem occurs within this file, a "Run a DLL as an App"-related error message will display. The most common reason this happens is the Appwiz.cpl file cannot be found or read by the executable. To resolve this problem, you can re-register the component to the system so that the Rundll.exe file can find it. In other instances, the Appwiz.cpl file can become corrupted and will need to be replaced.

Instructions

Re-register the Component

1 Press the "Windows" and "R" keys simultaneously. This opens a "Run" box on your screen.
2 Type or paste "Regsvr32 /s appwiz.cpl" into the "Run" box.
3 Type "Appwiz.cpl" in the "Run" box and press "Enter." Continue reading if the component still fails to load.

Repair the Component File

1 Click "Start" and type "CMD" in the "Search" box.
2 Right-click "CMD" from the "Search Results" list and click "Run as Administrator." Click the "Yes" button on the "User Account Control" dialog warning. This opens your Command Prompt.
3 Type "takeown /f appwiz.cpl" and press the "Enter" key. This allows your user account to take ownership of the file.
4 Type "icacls appwiz.cpl /grant administrators:F" and press the "Enter" key. This grants full administrative permissions for the file.
5 Type "copy appwiz.cpl appwiz.bak" and press the "Enter" key. This makes a backup copy of the existing appwiz.cpl file.
6 Type "del appwiz.cpl" and press the "Enter" key. This deletes the damaged appwiz.cpl file.
7 Type "Sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl" and press the "Enter" key. This runs the System File Checker. This utility will detect that the file is missing and rebuild a new file automatically.
8 Type "del.appwiz.bak" and press the "Enter" key to remove the old backup.
9 Type "Exit" and press the "Enter" key to close the Command Prompt.