Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to enable Netbios over tcp

• Please log in to reply

Manku

Manku

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a home network consisting of 4 computers:
1 laptop Windows 7 home premium
1 laptop Windows 7 starter
1 laptop Windows 7 home basic
1 laptop Windows XP
I was able to connect to one another using the computer name. However, all of a sudden, one computer running on windows home premium has stopped connecting to other computers by name. However, I can ping the other computers by ip address. The other 3 computers are able to connect to one another and even to this computer by name.

After searching the internet, I checked the LAN properties (network connections - Local area network connection - double click - details), which showed
Netbios over Tcpip enabled: No
I checked in the WINS properties (network connections - local area network connection - right click - properties - tcp/IPv4 properties - advanced - WINS) and checked Enable Netbios over TCPIP.

However, despite 'enabling' netbios in WINS it doesn't get enabled in LAN properties and the computer is unable to see other computers.

Please help me how to go about enabling netbios over tcpip.

Thanks for your patience and help in advance.

Advertisements