Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden and unexplained file sharing problem

• Please log in to reply

Kashink

Kashink

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

I went thru the network setup and found it really great. Unfortunately, it didn't help me much as my wireless network is fine. But today, file sharing became impossible for no apparent reason.

I have to say I did speak with a "techician" from my IP service provider and, after connecting himself to my laptop, he attempted something that certainly did not help and may have made things worse. What he did was try to setup a network from the laptop, which seemed a bad idea to me, but I figured he knew what he was doing. He then admitted to the contrary and left me hanging. Lesson duly learned!

Usually, the file sharing and copying is managed thru my desktop. I go to "Network Favorites" (sorry, my OS is in French, may not be same in English), then I select either "my documents" or "second hard drive" options (on laptop) and transfer whatever file needs transferring. This morning, when I tried to open "my documents" on laptop from the desktop, I got a window asking for an admin ID and a password. This had never happened before and I have no idea why it's happening now. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PROBLEM SOLVED
: it had to do with the file options, a box that should have been checked (the last one in my case, "use simple file sharing (recommended)".

Edited by Kashink, 16 February 2011 - 07:16 AM.

Advertisements