Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Card Reader Stopped Working Vista

• Please log in to reply

Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, thanks for having me.
My card reader has been not working lately. I've been able to get it to read my sd and flash card sometimes by going into control panel> administrative tools> services> smart card.

Sometimes it has stopped and I manually restart it. This has worked a few times but only after an unpredictable number of reboots. Now After half a dozen reboots or so, it doesn't want to read my cards anymore.

should probably mention that when it does start working again, it seems to handle my sd card fine, but the problems always start when I try to put in either of my flash cards- then it says error can't detect the device and describes it as device unknown.

It worked fine a while back, never had a problem. Then i quit using trend micro, and installed avg. avg was giving me probs so, I switched to avast. had a difficult time uninstalling avg- still not sure it's completely gone even after using an avg removal tool.

any help please?

Vista home premium 64 bit

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

There's always the possibility that the reader itself may be faulty so that theory surely must be tested first before looking anywhere else.
That means trying a different card-reader, even if it means buying one. They aren't really expensive even if you end up keeping it as a spare.
It's the only way to start the ball rolling with such a problem, especially when the device in question is relatively cheap to replace.

If the new one behaves in exactly the same way, you won't have wasted your money because you will have proved it's not the reader that's faulty.

Alternatively, if you have access to another PC, stick the card-reader in that & see how it behaves. Either way you will be proving something.

Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Good thinking, Phil. Thanks