Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toshiba windows 7 freezes

• Please log in to reply

weez

weez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
3 days ago my computer started to slow down and then it just stopped doing anything. It starts up in normal mode, and then no matter what I ask it to do, it just does it's little "circle" thing and does nothing. I tried opening in safe mode and restoring to an earlier date, no matter what date I try, it says it cannot restore successfully. Then, one day ago, it was just fine, and about 10 hours later, it did the same thing again. So, now, I can only open in safe mode. It keeps saying it cannot restore. This is one of the error codes it comes up with:

"Sytem restore failed to extract C:windoes\installer\$patchcache$\managed\00002119f2000000000000000f0if from the restore point the restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore."

Okay, so what do I do? HELP!! please?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Weez, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Unfortunately, corrupted System Restore files are much more common than they should be. I'll give you some instructions later to get you a good System Restore point. But first, let's get you into Normal Mode.

Boot into Safe Mode, I'm sure you know how by now.
Click on the Start Pearl, and in the search box type in msconfig and press Enter. This will open the Microsoft System Configuration Utility.
Click on the Services tab, select the check box Hide all Microsoft services down at the bottom, and then click the Disable all button. This will disable all non-microsoft services from starting up when you boot up your computer. It is important that you select "Hide all Microsoft Services" before pressing the "Disable all" button.
Click on theStartup tab, and press the Disable all button. In this screen there are no Microsoft programs hanging out, so just click the button. This will stop all programs from starting up when your computer boots up (the ones that you usually see in your system tray like Dropbox, Logitech, Adobe, Intel.)
Click Apply, then OK. The utility will close and a new dialog box will open, select Restart to immediately restart your computer into Normal mode.

If your computer will successfully boot into normal mode with the startup services and programs disabled, we can narrow down the culprit by opening msconfig in Normal mode (since you can get in), selecting the checkbox next to a couple of services, rebooting, and seeing if the problem occurs again.

Please post back with your results. Good luck! Posted Image