Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the elusive flash block for internet explorer 8

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i have heard around that there is a firefox style flash blocker plugin for internet explorer. but on doing some google searches all the sites claiming to provide this have sketchy names and frankly i really dont trust any of the google hits just by the look and feel of the sites.

does anyone know the official version of this plugin and where i can safley download it.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
In Internet Explorer, the Flash Player runs as an 'ActiveX' control (not a plug-in like it does on Firefox).

Therefore, you simply need to disable that particular ActiveX control.

Open IE >> Tools >> Manage Add-ons.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
yeah but that doesent give the functionality i wanted with flash block the flash window is still there and you can press play to enable it if you turn off active x wont you have to restart ie if you want to view something selectivly

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
In that case just use Firefox with it's flash-blocker extension, surely the simplest solution?
Also, Firefox is safer anyway since it doesn't use any ActiveX stuff (which can be used for malicious purposes).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 February 2011 - 02:17 PM.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i actually have firefox ie8 and safari installed. firefox is what i use when i need to visit less than reputable sites. and safari is a emergancy system because 90% of viruses that disable ie and firefox dont bother to redirect safari and or dont know how to interact with it.

now if only there was a way my computer could read my ming and dynamicly change my default browser based on what i am doing at the time :D

Edited by mikeloeven, 17 February 2011 - 08:24 PM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"now if only there was a way my computer could read my ming and dynamicly change my default browser based on what i am doing at the time "P"

Dream on!