Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a7a266 boot problem

• Please log in to reply

programmer4life

programmer4life

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Trying to fix a friend's ASUS computer and am a bit stumped.

I plug everything in, green LED on main board looks fine. I push the button on the front to boot. Both CPU and power supply fans start, but nothing on the screen. All I get is a blinking green LED on the front panel, as if it's on standby. It attempts to read both cd and dvd drives also.

Anyone have ideas on how I can narrow this problem down?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Things to verify:

1- Reset your CMOS to the default values (unplug computer, remove battery and short the pins 2-3, put back on pin 1-2 also put battery back and power your computer) do not forget if you now have video to go in your BIOS setup to put back the right time and date and any other changes needed in your BIOS settings.

2- Try another video card

3- Try another screen

Hope this helps

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Things to verify:

1- Reset your CMOS to the default values (unplug computer, remove battery and short the pins 2-3, put back on pin 1-2 also put battery back and power your computer) do not forget if you now have video to go in your BIOS setup to put back the right time and date and any other changes needed in your BIOS settings.

2- Try another video card

3- Try another screen

Hope this helps

Since I do not know what pins you are referring to, shouldn't I unplug, remove battery, and press & hold on button for 30 seconds?

Is it possible that a computer will not even try to boot into BIOS if it recognizes a video problem on the main board?

Thanks.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Here is a photo of where is the jumpers you need to short.

From what I saw in the manual this board only as 2 pins and to reset your CMOS to factory default you only need short them and then leave them free for the default position (most motherboards have 3 pins 1-2 default 2-3 shorting)

[attachment=47861:cmos a7a266.JPG]

No it will not stop it from going into the BIOS only the newer cards that require additional power may give a message to plug the power into the card otherwise it will work even if the card shows no video (actually if no video you cannot see what is on the screen so even if still able to enter the BIOS if no video it is useless).

Some older boards have a problem with what is call S3 resume and they sometime stay stuck in a permanent sleep mode and resetting your CMOS will solve this problem if indeed that is why yours is not starting normally.

Hope that will help

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 February 2011 - 03:03 PM.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks. I've tried your suggestion (except video card replacement) and BIOS is still not showing. I'm not hearing any activity from the hard drive. Tried putting in a boot disk and it does not seem to be trying to boot from it. I see that there is a 4 prong plug unplugged coming off the power supply. I normally see these connected to the main board. Does this board type require this to be plugged in? This may be the problem...

Thanks.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I just determined to switching the power from 115 to 230 causes the green light on the front to stay green (no flashing)... Still, nothing on the screen though and the hard drive is not doing anything.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First: the 4 prong plug you see usually goes into your atx 12v connectrors but from what i see in the manual of your Asus A7A266 it does not have this atx connector on it.

Second: Unless you are not in North America your power supply should stay on 115v if if living in Europe leave it at 230v

Can i ask if your hear any beeps when your computer starts (even if you see no video).

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
The absence of any beeps concerns me. No beeps no matter what I do. Even removing all the RAM does not produce any beep. I think the main board may be bad, even though the green LED on it lights.

It would sure be nice if manufacturers would make a front panel display, giving main board error codes :D I wonder if there is a device I can use to test them?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You might try another Power Supply if you have any you can borrow or a spare one, a faulty PSU will sometimes give enough power to initiates the fans but not enough to initiate the boot process.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I've tried 1 other power supply already. Same results.

It's a shame because this board can hold 3GB RAM. I did some searching and saw others have the same issue with this Motherboard.

Thanks for the quick replies :D

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok... I tore it apart and decided to just replace the motherboard. I'll close this thread. I'm guessing the mobo is dead.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and help Alzeimer. :-)

rebbael

rebbael

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Here is a photo of where is the jumpers you need to short.

From what I saw in the manual this board only as 2 pins and to reset your CMOS to factory default you only need short them and then leave them free for the default position (most motherboards have 3 pins 1-2 default 2-3 shorting)

[attachment=47861:cmos a7a266.JPG]

No it will not stop it from going into the BIOS only the newer cards that require additional power may give a message to plug the power into the card otherwise it will work even if the card shows no video (actually if no video you cannot see what is on the screen so even if still able to enter the BIOS if no video it is useless).

Some older boards have a problem with what is call S3 resume and they sometime stay stuck in a permanent sleep mode and resetting your CMOS will solve this problem if indeed that is why yours is not starting normally.

Hope that will help

Hello to all, and to Al old buddy old pal... I have the same problem with the same mobo with a situation - an old computer salvage and helping a friend fixing it, well - I have cleaned it up, the first problem were the disks (Win XP is the OS) all were on PIO mode which I found out that WinXP turns any HDD to PIO mode if 6 un-voluntary restarts or shutdowns are made to the machine - either way it's an OS's way to 'protect' in a way. Backuping was so slow I read Kafka's Amerika in English, and I'm Croatian.

Okay, here's the deal... I've updated flash thinking it'll turn the HDD's back to UDMA, but here's a big but. After restart I cannot see the screen, after the sound, the normal sound of booting up, then 2 beeps in a row and nothing happens. Could you send me the pic in the attachment - the one with which pins to short (for some reason I cannot see it) so I can flash it back to it's defaults, because now I'm in a big problem - I offered my help, this friend bought a new PC, but wants this one for his little kid to learn, and play and so on...

Oh, and if I've seen this original problem - the RAM problem - a question to the programmer4life - are you using all 5 slots of the motherboards RAM? Because you cannot and in the same manual it is stated not to put the DDR RAM (2 slots) and the SDRAM slots RAM together. If you were, that would be the problem possibly.

I'll PM you Al, you please reply as soon as possible since I need to get this thing running, and thanks in advance.