Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory understanding

• Please log in to reply

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
i've checked my memory specification and it showed:
dram frequency 399 MHz
memory timings 6-6-6-15
memory type ddr3 (pc3-10700)
speed 667MHz (ddr3 1333)
supported frequency: 457.1 MHz, 533.3 MHz, 609.5 MHz, 685.7 MHz
voltage is 1.5
what i know about memory speed is 1333 and its a pc310700. but the dram frequency confuses me. and the speed says 667MHz (ddr3 1333) what is 667? should my voltage is the same as well is im going to buy memory. why my dram frequency is 399 MHz and speed is 667MHz??
thanks in advance

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The speed the RAM is capable of is different from what it runs at. And RAM runs at the speed as determined by the motherboard. Note too it is DDR - double duty rate. 667 x 2 = 1334 (actually, 666.6666 x 2 = 1333.3332).

It appears your motherboard is running at 400Hz (399 actually) and is slowing down your RAM. This could be due to a setting or you have mixed RAM types and the system slows to the slowest.

If you are buying more ram, I recommend you check the motherboard maker's site for list of supported RAM. Or use one of the wizards found at most RAM maker's sites - like Crucial.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi digerati and thanks for the reply. how about the voltages? should i get the same with my current ram or voltages doesnt matter?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would want to know exactly what you currently have and where you are trying to go. It is often best to toss your existing and go all new.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
i currently have 2GB of ram and want to increase to 4GB. when im looking for memory on the internet voltages are included in the specification of each ram. if im going to buy pc3 10700 2 GB ram should i must know my voltages as well?? thanks

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is typically best to match what you current have.