Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error code0x800700cl

• Please log in to reply

HELP :)

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can anyone help? I am able to type my password into my user account, then it says there is a problem checking the license for the computer. The same computer I've used for 3-4 years now. I can't log in to Safe Mode- it goes to blue screen. I have Norton Antivirus. I have tried the original Cd to run chkdsk /r from Recovery Console which said it fixed errors, but I still can't log in. Only difference that has occured lately is last few times I could log in it kept going to a screen with vertical lines and I would lose what I was working on. I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Correction: Error Code is 0x800700c1

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Only difference that has occured lately is last few times I could log in it kept going to a screen with vertical lines and I would lose what I was working on. I appreciate any help.

This together with your inability to boot to Safe Mode suggests that you MAY have serious hard drive problems.

What are the full model details of the Dell please.

When you have posted that please also indicate if you are in need of any data off this computer by way of personal documents photos etc.
I am NOT thinking of a reinstall at this time, but it would be very wise to secure your data if we can.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 February 2011 - 05:42 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dell Inspiron 1501. I'm not sure exactly all the info you need. I can live without the documents I suppose, but photos I definitely want to save if possible. Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

There are a number of ways of recovering your data. One is below and probably one of the best.
PUPPY LINUX

See this link and
http://distro.ibibli...fulldrivers.iso
Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd using this

http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

• Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
    Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
    You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Make sure the cd you burned is in the cd drive before clicking Y and then your system will reboot. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...

you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..
after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...
now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...
your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive.. and download to another computer.
Ensure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..
Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption.

POSTED with acknowledgement to Happyrock

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 05:15 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh my. I would attempt this if I had access to another computer right now. I think I was hoping for some simpler steps lol. I do appreciate your response.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Does the computer in question boot and load.
If not I presume you are posting on the thread on another computer..
If it does boot load and connect to the net I have misunderstoood your thread.

There are simpler steps - if that is what you may call them, take out the laptop drive, place it in a 2.5 enclosure or docking station connect it to another computer, USB, all being well Windows will see it as an external drive and you can then recover your data.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 12:16 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I do NOT have access to the Internet on the Dell inspiron computer & yes I am posting here from a mobile device. I can only get to the login User account screen...I type in my password & it immediately kicks me out. So from that info you are saying I will need to remove the hard drive from the Dell and connect it to another computer to get the data?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. If you think that is easier than making on another computer the Puppy Linux Cd - yes.
2. The reason for this error is either corruption of data on the HDD OR some program has changed parts of a file - registry cleaners are favourite for doing things such as this. OR you or someone else has been altering settings, possibly in Control Panel Computer Management etc.
If this is XP Pro when you get to the log in screen instead of typing in a password press Ctrl Alt Delete TWICE. This MAY allow you to log in as the built in admin account. If a box then opens administrator, try it with the password blank (do not type blank) just leave it blank.
If that does not work then the admin password has been set try the passwords you have.

If this is XP Home, that will not work, the only way on XP home to enter the admin account is in safe mode.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 01:09 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above the advantage of using Puppy is this

Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...

If of course you cannot USE another computer to make this, or anything else I might suggest, then your options are limited.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
What if I just want to forget about the data on there? Is it possible to do a fresh install of Windows XP from the original installation cd? I know this will erase all my data, but would it also fix the problems?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you tried my suggestion at the log in screen in post 9.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 06:03 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried Ctrl Alt Delete twice for the XP Home. It let me type in my password but then went straight to the same error code. I tried it blank and it says it needs a password. I went on my daughter's user account which has no password and still get same error code.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

If this is XP Pro when you get to the log in screen instead of typing in a password press Ctrl Alt Delete TWICE. This MAY allow you to log in as the built in admin account. If a box then opens administrator, try it with the password blank (do not type blank) just leave it blank.
If that does not work then the admin password has been set try the passwords you have.

If this is XP Home, that will not work, the only way on XP home to enter the admin account is in safe mode.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 07:39 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above you need to decide where you wish to go on this.
I asked if you wanted any data, you replied YES.
I sent you a way of recovering the data, which has been used 1000`s of times and if your hardware is OK, will work.
You then replied is there a simple way.
THERE IS NOT A SIMPLE WAY.
I sent you another possible way
You then asked

What if I just want to forget about the data on there? Is it possible to do a fresh install of Windows XP from the original installation cd? I know this will erase all my data, but would it also fix the problems?

The answer is YES it is possible to do a clean install of windows, it is also possible to do a repair install which should leave your data intact.
If the problem is file corruption on the HDD, YES a clean install and possibly a repair install will solve the problem.
If the problem is a failing HDD then NO it will not solve it.
If you have to do a clean install you will have many issues of drivers , updates, many dozens of them etc. Even with a repair install you will still have matters to resolve.
In short - the problem can VERY LIKELY be resolved - but I would hardly describe it as simple.

When you have decided which way you want to go - Puppy, etc more work with the recovery console, OR straight to repair or clean install post back please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 07:50 PM.