Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error code0x800700cl

• Please log in to reply

HELP :)

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is there some other way to get in to Safe Mode besides F8? Because when I press F8 and click Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration or any of those options it goes to blue screen. I think I just want to start from scratch. I'm frustrated with this machine lol.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
NO there is NOT
Is there a message on the BSOD or is it just a blank blue screen.

If you are certain you do not wish to try and recover anything go back to recovery console .
See this
http://pcsupport.abo.../rconsole_4.htm

When you get to the screen on page 4 here which windows would you like to log onto enter that choice. normally 1.
Go from there entering the password
You will now be back where you were when you say you ran chkdsk.

Now see this
http://pcsupport.abo...wbootsector.htm
and type the command "fixboot".
press enter
THEN
Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your computer.

The other commands available are on this link if you feel competant to try them. OR you can wait until I come back to you.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

However I would urge caution, but then if you are intent on starting again you have little to lose.

HERE are the instructions for a repair install - an excellent guide from this Site - Geeks to Go.
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Good luck
It could hardly be described as

I think I was hoping for some simpler steps

BUT with care it is easy to follow.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 09:04 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I try Safe Mode the blue screen says something like it is shutting down to prevent damage to the computer. I can try again & let you know if there is an error code for that also.
And no, I am not 100% certain I want to lose everything on there. Is there any way to find and fix those corrupt files through the recovery console?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We are going round in circles.
WHY NOT GO BACK and get your data off first if you can do with Puppy.
Then when you have done that we can continue.
Have you tried the recovery console command.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am sorry I am unsure of all of this. I just thought there was a fix to the existing files (if a corrupt file is what is causing the problem) using the one & only installation/recovery cd I already have & bypassing the puppy step(bc I won't need to copy files if I can restore registry problem,right?)
The only command I have tried in the recovery console is chkdsk /r which did not work.(said it fixed some errors, but same problem exists)
Again, I'm sure I'm probably going in circles & my question isn't coming out clearly. I apologize while I'm still learning :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I just thought there was a fix to the existing files (if a corrupt file is what is causing the problem) using the one & only installation/recovery cd I already have

It is unfortunately NOT as simple as that.
Some matters can be fixed from the recovery console, some cannot.
That error you have can be caused as I told you by a number of faults.
I do not mind at all you querying anything and asking for further guidance, we all started at the beginning and ALL of us, still learn something new quite frequently.

What I cannot do is to keep repeating the same thing.
You either TRY what I have told you OR you go straight to a repair install - which as I have SAID three times should leave your data intact, BUT anyone who tells you that there is NO RISK involved and that ALL will work perfectly is not telling you the truth.

if a corrupt file is what is causing the problem)

IF WE KNEW which it was and IF it can be repaired from the Recovery Console, yes there MAY be this FIX
Unfortunately I do NOT KNOW.

By now you could have made Puppy, booted from it, found out if the hardware was therefore good and got your data.
OR by now you could have done the repair install.
OR you could have run the command I sent on the Recovery Console and we could have gone to the next command. -if that did not work.
Unfortunately all you do is keep on asking the same question - slightly differently worded.

I will stay with you and work through it with you - but you need to make progress.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The fixboot command did not work. And I have been sick & unable to get access to the Puppy. But thank you for your time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

OR you could have run the command I sent on the Recovery Console and we could have gone to the next command. -if that did not work.

When you are ready just post