Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home will not load

• Please log in to reply

The Oman

The Oman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
was working on a dell desktop that would not load windows XP Home. error was \windows\system32\config\system not found or corrupt...used the installation disk to get to the repair area...computer has 2 hard drives C: and D: which have windows ...in the repair area can only login to D: and all attempts at repair are non-productive...if I attempt to login to C: it does not respond (freezes) and I need to reboot. In addition....if I attempt to install a new version of windows (from the installation disk) in the attempt to repair the operating system that way....when it looks for a current windows operating system...it also does not respond and freezes at that point, never showing the current operating system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Model of Dell please - specific ie Dell Inspiron etc. .

computer has 2 hard drives C: and D: which have windows

Is this a dual boot - two hard drives with windows on each OR one hard drive partitioned.. Please explain a little further.

When you say repair area do you mean recovery console?

error was \windows\system32\config\system not found or corrupt

frequently a corrupted registry

See this - Seatools for dos will work on any hard drive. If the computer has a floppy - download to another computer install on a floppy and run on this computer. See if Seatools will see the hard drive/s and run a check. It is ONLY a check for the state of the disk. It is not a windows chkdsk for data corruption.
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 February 2011 - 02:31 PM.

The Oman

The Oman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dell inspiron, recovery console, and 2 separate hard drives listed with windows ...only D: will allow access and login to administrator.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

2 separate hard drives listed with windows

I see what you have replied, but DO YOU KNOW BEYOND DOUBT that this computer two hard drives.

Also have you run Seatools.

AND
I ask

specific ie Dell Inspiron etc. .

so I mean Dell Inspiron etc ie the number.
so could you please post the rest of the model details.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 February 2011 - 04:45 PM.

The Oman

The Oman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
A dell inspiron 4400 (I believe)...was working at the user location. She stated that
she had added a hard drive (not sure if dual boot or partitioned). Have not run Seatools, since I have not yet been back to
her place....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well if she is capable of adding a hard drive I presume she will know - what she put on it.
I will wait to hear from you re that and Seatools.