Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Radeon 5670, comp won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dell XPS 400 Windows XP SP3 32-bit Media Center Edition
MOBO - 0YC523
CPU - Intel Pent. D 2.8Ghz dual core
Ram - DDR2 3G
GPU - Nv. GeF. 8400
PSU - Corsair 450w w. 33A on the 12v rail

I turned off the comp, took out the 8400, put in the 5670. the System booted up but gave me 4-5 vertical fuzzy lines over the normal windows background. The system detected the new hardware, searched for and installed the drivers. When I clicked yes to restart, it shutdown and that was it. When I hit the power button, the fans start up, the lights come on, but I have no video output.

I have searched the forums and have not found much useful yet.

I can reinstall the 8400 and everything is fine. Do I have a 5670 brick?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Gunnersfan :D
Did you uninstall the previous cards drivers before fitting and running the new card?

Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Initially, no. Should have, but didn't think about it at the time. I have always had Nvidia cards, so I didn't think about the drivers until after the initial swap. I have since put the 8400 back in, re-installed 8400 drivers to ensure working order = success. Then uninstalled drivers, turned off comp, swapped cards = no boot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Then uninstalled drivers, turned off comp, swapped cards = no boot.

Try uninstalling the Nvidea drivers 1st then install the 5670 drivers, shut down, fit the card and reboot.
The card should have worked using the Windows drivers so we may have to look elsewhere if the above doesn`t work.

Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried that as well, resulting in the failure to boot. It has been suggested that b/c this is a PCIe 2.1, it is conflicting w. my PCIe x16 slot. Could that theory hold any truth?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I was just about to post that it appears the 5670 is not backwards compatible so I will check your MB specs & post back.

Feedback from a Newegg customer;
Rating: 3/5Does not work on NF590 chipset
Pros: Probably a good card but could not get it to work.

Cons: Not backward compatible with PCI x16 v1 slots.

Other Thoughts: It was my understanding that the newer cards were backward compatible with the older PCI Express slots. Apparently this is not always the case. I tested the card on a DFI UT NF590 motherboard with two different power supplies a single rail 12v 500 watt supply and a dual 12v rail 450 watt power supply and in both cases the motherboard would not boot and the hard drive would not spin up while this card was installed.

Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Phill, thx for finding that. Would the 2.0 cards work w. the x16 slot then? If not, guess I'm dead in the water. Thx for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Most cards are backwards compatible but apparently the 5670 may not be, I can`t find any official ATI info on this though only people posting threads saying so, trying the card on another computer or having a shop test the card is the only way to confirm the card is actually working Im afraid, can you return and/or swap the card?

Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can swap, so I'm pursuing that atm. Thx for all the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad to hear that and you are welcome, let us know how it works out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Couple of cards for you to consider if available to swap;
1st choice; http://www.novatech..../nov-gt440.html
2nd choice; http://www.novatech....n220oc-1gi.html