Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Encrypted Hard Drive Help.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I encrypted my secondary hard drive with StorageCrypt 4.1, when I attempted to decrypt it the proses would stop at 12% and gave me an error [ Write Disk I/O Error!] I contacted their support and told them what had happened. We went back and forth with questions and unhelpful answers. He told me that my drive was old and may have bad sectors on it. He then suggested that I use a data recovery software to recover the files, then re-partition and re-format the drive.

So here's my question, is there anyway I can bypass StorageCrypt or somehow remove the decryption and get my hard to the way it was before? I don't want to recover then format the HD, in fear that I might miss something, plus I don't have enough memory to save files of a 40 GB hard on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been in the dilemma for over a week.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

First you need to test the drive, as trying anything else may be pointless if it has failed (and all hard drives WILL fail sooner or later).

Seagate SeaTools can be used to test any brand of hard drive.
If you are able to run Windows on the PC which contains the problem secondary drive, you can install the Windows version of SeaTools.

Seagate SeaTools for Windows: http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

It's fairly straightforward to use. Just select the appropriate drive then select the "Long Test" from the menu.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 February 2011 - 05:43 AM.