Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something's wrong with the hard drive

• Please log in to reply

aimi

aimi

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,
yesterday when i tried to open the internet with my other laptop, it wouldn't open. there were few popups with red cross. i dont know what its saying it's just error and lots of numbers and letters. then the windows firewall popup came up and said something about the security and its blocking the internet.

what's worse is that the next time i start the laptop, after a logged in, the screen suddenly goes black and then there was an automatic windows scan. there were 11 problems found and it recommended me to run defragmentation which i did. however, only 6 problems could be solve and the other 5 failed. the 5 failures were:

1. Read time of hard drive clusters less than 500ms- critical error
2. 37% of HDD space is unreadable- critical error
3. hard drive doesnt respond to system commands- critical error
4. Bad sectors on hard drive or damaged allocation table- critical error
5. Boot sector of the hard drive is damaged- critical error

the windows scan also states that to fix the remaining problems, i would need to click yes to activate but i dont have the activation key :D besides, the internet doesnt work so there's not much point. but it gets worse the more i restarted the laptop. windows scan is run automatically whenever i logged on but after a while it closes down suddenly.other folders i tried to open also closes down just like that.

and there was also the red cross icon on the taskbar saying 'Damaged hard drive clusters detected. Private data is at risk.' and 'RAM memory usage5 is critically high. RAM memory failure.' and 'windows cant find hard disk space.' and 'missing hard drive'.

now any documents or programmes i tried to open i couldnt. nothing works :D:(

and the bad thing is that it belongs to my mum's office -.-

what should i do and what was the cause?

Edited by aimi, 17 February 2011 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Sounds like you are infected. Please follow the steps HERE, then post HERE

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
really? my laptop has been infected many times but never this bad esp when its affecting/destroying the hard disk. i told my friend's uncle about my diagnosis since he runs a computer shop and he told me that i need to buy a new hard disk T___T but he said it was due to too much downloading and it wasnt true at all! since the laptop is restricted and i dont have the admin's access, i couldnt download any programmes.

and umm...i cant exactly install malware or any antivirus because i dont have the admin's access and even if i do, i cannot log on to the internet T____T

what should i do?!!

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok Calm down. I don't think anything is wrong with your hard drive at all, it's just a scare tactic being used by the malware.

Before you do anything, does the office that this laptop belongs to have an IT department? And are they aware of the situation?

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yes they do have IT department but they're not aware of it yet. i havent told my mum either -.- im afraid she might tell me off for going on suspicious websites instead of work purposes T_T but i know i have to tell her soon so im currently mentally preparing myself for the music. but is there something i can do so i dont need to notify the technician?

btw, i also want to ask if i hand the laptop to the technician, can he trace up the websites that i've been on? i always deleted history but im not sure whether if the websites are completely erased. it's nothing dirty but like i said, the laptop was meant for work purposes but ive been web surfing.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hold on, I need to go ask an admin if we're allowed to help in this situation.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
We came to the conclusion that it would be best to allow your IT department to handle the situation.

So you'll need to come clean with your Mom and let her handle it.

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hi,
i did some googling and i found that the windows scan is fake hard drive analysis and you were right, i need to remove me with anti-malware and antivirus software. the antivirus software that the laptop currently has is called office scan. i did run it early when the laptop was having problems but no virus are found.
now i would follow your suggestion which is running anti-malware scan so im gonna ask the technician to supply me his password somehow so i can download a good antivirus and anti-malware software. but since i cant get connected to the internet explorer, im thinking of downloading the files and then transfer the files to the laptop and install it there. i doubt its gonna be easy because last time i tried to plug in my usb to save whatever files i have in the laptop, the usb wont even open but the other time i tried it again and it worked so hopefully it will work.
ah and btw, when i plug my usb into the laptop, wont the virus gets transferred to my usb? and if i plug my usb into this laptop, will it effect this laptop too?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

when i plug my usb into the laptop, wont the virus gets transferred to my usb? and if i plug my usb into this laptop, will it effect this laptop too?

Yes, it is possible for something to transfer over on your usb drive.

Ok here's the deal: Section 3 of our TOU disallows us to replace your IT department

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

So, you'll have to let the IT department handle this.