Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with wires

• Please log in to reply

maastmike

maastmike

• Pip
  • 3 posts
this is my first build and it would be great if some one could help me with the wires. this has been a very frustrating build because a friend of mine was suppose to be here to walk me through it, but will not be able to due to some personal issues. i now had all these parts and had to learn some what on my own. i was able to install the cpu heat sink onto the mobo, install the mobo into the case, install the power supply into the case, as well as the ram. i did have some problems with installing the mobo and im HOPING i did everything right.

now i need to get to the wires to make sure everything was installed correctly then move onto the HD/ DVD brn.

any help would be great. im hoping to find some one who has the time and can meet up on AIM and walk me through. thanks.

CASE THERMALTAKE VL8000
MOBO GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V H55 1156 R
VGA PNY VCG98GTEE1XPB 9800 EE
PSU COOLMASTER RS-460 PSAR-J3 RT
CPU INTEL CORE i3 550 3.20G 4M R
MEM 2Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
HD 1T HITC 7K 32M SATA2 0F10383
DVD BRN ASUS DRW-24B1ST

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A good starting point is located HERE
Also you should have gotten a motherboard manual which shows the layout as well as the wiring connections.
Specifically what wires are you trying to hook up right now?

maastmike

maastmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
only wires i wanted to connect right now are the power supply wires. i want to make sure the mobo, cpu, power supply, ram, and graphics card is installed correctly. i was told that if everything is installed correctly i should get the bios screen and be able to hear everything run smoothly with a nice hum. if everything works out the way its suppose to then i was going to move on to the HD and DVD brn. once those are installed i will being the software dl.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you want to be sure of what connections are for what wires go to this page and download the manual if you do not have it already, it will show you where all wires should go.

http://www.gigabyte....pid=3601#manual

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
This may help http://www.playtool....connectors.html

maastmike

maastmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well i figured it out on my own with a little reading and after getting all the wires connected i started it up and the mobo ran for about two secs then shut off.

i proceeded to do a bench test with only the cpu, gpu, 1 stick of ram, the front panel header connections, the 20/4 pin connection, and the 4 pin 12v atx connector. i started it up and it ran beautifully

whats my next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Try the present Ram stick in the 2nd slot you attempted to use, if it boots it suggests that stick and the 2 Ram slots are ok, repeat the process with the 2nd stick of Ram, again on its own, post back with the results.