Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus protection

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using IE or FireFox and what version please?

Advertisements

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I am using Internet Explorer 7.

When I installed XP I think it came with version 6 and it may have run better but I think with all the updates that it installed version 7.0.5730.13 update version 0.

I did create a resore point soon after installation so I assume I could restore it back to when it was running on 6?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually I was thinking of the addons with IE that may be causing the issue.
Try the following and while disabled try this site and see if it helps.
To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks for the reply, I am using IE 7.

In tools, manage add ons, enable or disable add ons, there are 4 sections,

Add ons that have been used by internet explorer

Add ons currently loaded on internet explorer (it was on this setting and there are 4 add ons in here all were enabled, 1) adobe pdf link helper 2) diagnose connection problems, 3) shockwave flash object 4)windows messenger.)
I have disabled those 4 and will restart and see how it is.

Add ons that run witout requiring permission

Downloaded active x controls

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing to add when I opened this website a pop up box told me an add on was trying to open but was disabled.
It did seem a bit faster but it still takes 4 seconds from when I click a link until you hear the click and it starts to try and load the page.
The page takes an age to load and I still got a couple of short freezes while typing this reply.

Just for interest there were 25 active X controls that are all enabled in the "add ons that run without requiring permission" section.

It was easier to type this some there has been a small improvement.

Edited by bluetown, 20 February 2011 - 12:24 PM.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have disabled every single add on in the four sections but it is still freezing/locking.

If I do a system restore will I lose all the windows updates that I downloaded after the restore date?
I think IE 6 was running ok. Or should I download IE 6 from somewhere and then delete IE 7 from Control panel, add/remove programmes?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before doing a restore I would like you to try downloading FireFox and see if it happens with that.
The link for FireFox is in my signature below.
Install it and just try logging in here to see if it is faster.

bluetown

bluetown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I understand Firefox is another Browser.
I like IE when it's up to speed and would like to use IE if possible.

I use the PC for my work.

I don't know if this is relevent but when I bring up Task manager, Performance, when I am doing nothing the CPU usage flicks from between 1% and 6%,
When I open a webpage the CPU usage goes up to 100%, is this normal? Should this happen?

Edited by bluetown, 21 February 2011 - 02:44 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
what rshaffer61 suggested in his last post is a good idea. By installing another browser we get a chance to see if the problems is caused by Internet Explorer, regardless of version, or by something else. If you install Fire Fox or Google Chrome (which I prefer) and the problem disappears, then we know that the source is in IE. If it remains the same, then it's somewhere else. This is an important step in diagnosing the problem. This is only done for this purpose.