Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what does this error message mean?

• Please log in to reply

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
"Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

this specific message was from macrium reflect, but I have also received a similar message from windows back up and restore. Now I have only been able to backup this computer once since bought it, since then all I have received were these messages. After awhile I just completely gave up on trying to backup my computer due to a bad temper, until I recently lost some important files. Also the warranty on this POS just conveniently expired so IM screwed. So, here I am sitting with a hammer next to me and trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer, if I don't figure something out soon I am gonna take this hammer and smash the GD computer, and as of right now so far Toshiba products suck ...

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
May I suggest that for the time being you follow the advice on the Toshiba Support forum where you posted at 1016hrs and received a reply about 1 hour later.
Here is your post on that site.

What does this error message mean
02-17-2011 10:16 AM - last edited on 02-17-2011 10:19 AM

"Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

this specific message was from macrium reflect, but I have also received a similar message from windows back up and restore. Now I have only been able to backup this computer once since bought it, since then all I have received were these messages. After awhile I just completely gave up on trying to backup my computer due to a bad temper, until I recently lost some important files. Also the warranty on this POS just conveniently expired so IM screwed. So, here I am sitting with a hammer next to me and trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer, if I don't figure something out soon I am gonna take this hammer and smash the GD computer, and as of right now so far Toshiba products suck ...

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 02:05 PM.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Run the Windows Error Checker on the drive or partition you are trying to make an image of (not the drive or partition you are backing up to).

Right-click the relevant drive/partition and choose "Properties".
Click the "Tools" tab then click "Check Now"
Tick BOTH options then click "Start"

If it's a system partition you will get a message saying it can't be checked until the next time you restart.
Just click "Yes" and restart. Upon restart, the Error Checker will run before Windows loads.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 February 2011 - 02:10 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Same advice as you received on the Toshiba forum.,, about one hour after you posted on it.

Additionally that Macrium software has been updated a number of times and the latest is

v4.2.3141

Date:

17 January 2011

If you solve your present problems, I advise you to update the Macrium software.
A few thoughts that come to my mind are:
1. Have you ever cleaned up this computer temp files, browser history etc.
2. Defrag HDD
3. You may be annoyed by this comment - but it is meant to be advice. If a computer has a problem with backups

Now I have only been able to backup this computer once since bought it, since then all I have received were these messages. After awhile I just completely gave up on trying to backup my computer due to a bad temper,

and you adopt this attitude - then in all honesty what do you expect.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 02:30 PM.

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok so ive done the chkdsk both options, automaticly fix file system errors- turned out no problems. scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors- did come up with errors and it told me they were fixed. i tried to back up again i got the same message... so i'm assuming that the hard drive is failing. i have kept good maintenance on this computer i just dont see why it is giving me so many problems. as far as my attitude, what can i say i have anger issues and frankly im suprised i havent smashed the computer yet.

Edited by ArtOfShred87, 17 February 2011 - 06:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Open Computer on start menu
Right click the hard drive, click properties.
On the window that opens what size is the HDD and how much free space is there

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 06:18 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The Windows error "I/O Device Error" means there is an error in the computer's ability to read data.
I/O refers to Input and Output.
As the error is only reported during backups, it is at this stage reasonable to suspect that something, either a program, your anti-virus, or a registry error is causing this.

If the HDD in the computer had errors then Windows7 would more than likely have scheduled it for a disk check. Have you seen this when you have booted.

The recent chkdsk report however is a possible cause for concern, as the error can be caused by a failing hard drive. I would NOT associate that with the original and continued error from the backup procedure.
However, if albeit the hammer has not been taken to the computer, but your

anger issues and frankly im suprised i havent smashed the computer yet.

issues have resulted in violent movement of the computer, particularly whilst it was running, then THAT could very easily be the reason for the report you say we have now. If you are certain that the chkdsk DID report bad sectors then I can assure you that they have NOT been fixed.
BAD SECTORS cannot be repaired - chkdsk simply attempts to recover the data from the bad sector and rewrites it to a good sector.

The original error I suspect is caused by
1. That Macrium Software. OR
2. Anti-virus OR
3. The back-up drive - corruption in files there OR
4. Possible registry errors - frequently caused by the use of a registry cleaner - which is ALWAYS INADVISABLE

Finally, whilst I am prepared to help, this is the last post I will make until you reply that you are wanting to work with me, are prepared for what I think will be a rather long process and that you have a REAL desire to solve the issue.

You can start by replying to my question regarding free space and if that MACRIUM SOFTWARE is the free edition OR a paid for edition for which you have the activation key etc., as it has NEVER been used for a backup, there cannot be one that relies on it for restore of that backup, therefore UNINSTALL IT. This will eliminate one possible cause.
When you do reply we will then obtain the results of the chkdsk in detail, we will run system file checker and take it from there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2011 - 07:13 PM.

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have done a sytem recovery recently there is nothing but factory drivers on the computer aside from macrium which i just downloaded(free edition). , Computer HDD->205gb free of 223gb All i really want to do is create a backup of the recovery which is a hidden partition in the same drive. i did with macrium it let me copy 2 parititions to an external hdd 1.sytem 2.hidden recovery the third partition is the c:/ drive in which windows backup stops at 85% while writing the disk image and gives me that I/O error message. so since macrium let me "backup" partitions 1. and 2. does that mean that i have the recovery sofetware to install windows on a replacement? at the moment the computer hdd is still running because i am on the the computer right now...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLEASE GET THE RESULTS OF THAT Chkdsk
They are in Event Viewer Application Wininit. see here.
http://www.sevenforu...viewer-log.html

http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

1. See the above link. This may be of help to you and I strongly advise that when you get the system as you want it you do this.

2. The weakness of course with relying in the recovery parition on the HDD is two fold.
a. If the HDD crashes completely - there is NO recovery partition.
b. It can only ever recover to the state of the partition - ie: to how it was when it was sold.

3. I can only repeat that I would especially now I know it is the free edition UNINSTALL IT or if you insist on keeping it at least do as I said and download the latest. You only have to look at how many times this has been updated to fix bugs in previous issues to realise that you must have the latest edition. as indeed my post 4.

i have done a sytem recovery recently there is nothing but factory drivers on the computer

This is the next task - install all updates and any driver updates.

5. Windows 7 backup and restore guide
http://windows.micro...kup-and-restore

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 08:05 AM.

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is TI103196W0D. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)... 75520 file records processed. File verification completed. 61 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 44 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)... 106546 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)... 75520 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 29 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 29 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 29 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 15514 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 34058952 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. 234181631 KB total disk space. 18798524 KB in 58526 files. 36572 KB in 15515 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 182139 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 215164396 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 58545407 total allocation units on disk. 53791099 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 27 01 00 45 21 01 00 32 18 02 00 00 00 00 00 .'..E!..2....... 37 00 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 7...,........... c0 ee 24 00 50 01 24 00 50 01 24 00 00 00 24 00 ..$.P.$.P.$...$. Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Is this what you needed? BTW i really dont care about that macrium software i just downloaded it because it was recommended to me by someone on one of these forums, and im pretty sure the one i have is the latest 4.2. anyway i have checked both my external drives and they dont seem to have any errors and they should be fine they are maybe about 6-8 months old i never move them they are always in the same spot. i do have problems with one of them but i thought it was just the computer my 1.5tb hdd sometimes takes for ever to... how do say, wake up or load something. OH and i have already installed all the latest windows 7 updates and drivers up until today.also thanks for putting up with my bs i know im a pain in the @$$, i just quit smoking and i have nothing to calm my nerves.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The last 14 updates of Macrium have been 4.2 -you need if you are staying with it the one I indicated 4.2.

17 January 2011 What's new? 4.2.3141:

The chkdsk results show no problem other than the minor cleaning up of unused entries.
There were no bad sectors
0 KB in bad sectors.
Nor were there any file errors
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems

So I cannot at this time see how you came to comment on post 5
scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors- did come up with errors and it told me they were fixed.
as the minor matter of cleaning up unused file entries would have been reported on the chkdsk - automatically fix file system errors.
CHECK the previous entry for the chkdsk results

I would recommend the following
1. check again the version of Macrium and update if necessary - see how it is then if you run a backup.
If still no good
2. Run a backup using the link I sent in item 5 of post 9.
If still no good
3. Uninstall Macrium and try again on 2 above.
Also re the external drives do they have software for installation, are they powered or do they rely on the usb power. Are they immediately seen on every boot or are there sometimes problems with recognition of them.

Anti-virus programs can effect backup - try it with the anti-virus turned off - although I do NOT opine that this was the cause of the original error report that started this thread.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 08:32 AM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Trying to backup your system from within Windows is often a painful proposition.

If Macrium will allow you to create a bootable CD/DVD/USB stick, then do so. Boot from this media and try another backup. Most live Linux CDs will provide the same functionality.

If errors occur during this process, you very likely have a hardware problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
DaffyKantReed

Boot from this media and try another backup. Most live Linux CDs will provide the same functionality.

I apologise if I have MISUNDERSTOOD your post.

He can boot and load windows hence the chkdsk results obtained from event viewer in Post 9.

ArtOfShred87

ArtOfShred87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i never have problems with the external hdds aside from the 1.5tb one being kinda slow at times. i'm pretty sure they do have software that came with them but i choose not to use it because i see it as an inconvenience, and it slowed my computer. they both have their own power suppply and are not powered via usb. i have not had any recognition problems with these devices. And at the moment i do not have any anti-virus software installed, as it is still factory and win7 updates.and im still recieving the same error message, any suggestions what it might be aside from a failing hdd? i learned recently that toshiba actually sells a recovery via cd or usb so im not to disappointed if i do have to get a new hdd, but if there's anything else you think might be at cause please let me know. As i said my comp. is still running, A little slow, but running none the less.

as far as the chkdsk the one i gave you the details for i did not chesk both option in chkdsk i just checked the option to automatically fix file sytem errors. i couldnt seem to fid the details for the one with scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, dont know if it matters but ill try and run it again tonight and see what happens.

BTW i dont know if i let you know what my system is but here it is anyway, toshiba satellite AMD Sempron SI-42 2100 MHz 1 core 2gb memory windows 7 home premium 32-bit, not a very good sytem, i know this.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would go HERE
http://uk.computers.....jsp?service=UK
changing your location as required
entering the specific model details etc and then download any updated drivers. Especially any chipset drivers, graphics, LAN and sound.

There is NO reason to suspect as I have said from the start that the drive is failing. I do not connect that error message with a fault on the hard drive - as it only appeared when backing up using Macrium or Windows. - far more likely I think that the error message is related to an inability to write to the external drive.

I know you say that it is only factory condition Windows 7 and updates, but running without an anti-virus is the kiss of death

I would try with ONLY one external drive connected having done as I said with Macrium and when attempting backup - do NOT run any other programs, whilst it completes.