Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

Druhnoj

Druhnoj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got a problem with a hard drive.

The hard drive is a WD Caviar Green, it's about a month or two old. I am regularly getting BSOD warning me that I should back up my hard drive because failure is imminent, along with random crashes and trouble starting the computer occasionally. I backed up the drive and tried running Western Digital's diagnostic tool, but trying to use it locked up my computer. I moved the drive to a different computer and successfully ran the diagnostic tool which says that the drive is fine. (I ran the extended test, not the short SMART one)

A little history: The drive I'm having problems with is a new one bought to replace the old one that was having the exact same problem, the old one came with the computer and was about 2 or 3 years old.

So, what more can I do here? I would simply send it back and get a replacement drive, but not only does WDs diagnostic tool say it's fine, but my previous drive had the same issue. Does that indicate that it's not the hard drive but the motherboard or something? Or should I just assume that the old hard drive died and my new hard drive is just a dud and get a new one?

My computer specs:
Brand and Model: HP Pavilion a1720n (HPs page on the computer here)
Everything is stock except for video card, RAM, and the hard drive in question.

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
RAM: 2 1GB sticks of Crucial (Crucial CT2KIT12864AA800 2GB (1GBx2) 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 Memory Module)in addition to the 2 512MB sticks that came with the machine.
PSU:hipro D2537F3R http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817174031
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 © DC 1.86 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5LP-LE (or it's "HP/Compaq motherboard name:" Leonite-GL8E)

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

Edited by Druhnoj, 17 February 2011 - 05:22 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Druhnoj :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

Druhnoj

Druhnoj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah, should've remembered to include that. Thanks for letting me know. I edited the original post to include the computer specs. Thanks :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Do you have or can you loan a known good PSU as I suspect this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817174031 is your problem, it is not of good quality and is under powered for what your system requires due to your graphics card which is discussed here http://forums.nvidia...showtopic=52380
A 250W PSU is way below what most computers need to be able to run correctly.