Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU and new bluray ODD

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok if you look through my previos history (post history) you will see I had a MASSIVE problem (in that it took months to figure out the cause of the problem) that meant every hard drive I used got fried instantly. Turns out it was my brand new Silverstone 600W PSU. ST60F is the model. Well I had it replaced since (if you look through the old messages you will see that dabs or overclockers (cant remember where I bought it from) engineers actually found no problem with the PSU (I sent it back a second time as first time round they didnt find anything wrong either) but out of goodwill they replaced it. Ever since then I have had no power issues.

But since then I have not changed the hardware at all. Till today. I got my new Samsung SHB-123L today; removed the older SATA Samsung drive that was originally in there (I had 2 already in there both standard DVD writers both Samsung) and replaced it with the Bluray one. Turned the power on at the back and switched it on. All the lights lit up for a moment then they turned off literally after like a second. So I switched the power off at the back and turned it back on and tried again this time it started to boot so i quickly tried ejecting the drive. It began opening then the PC switched off. So I assumed it was DOA however I like to know for sure rather then assume so I went to test it in another machine I built last year running a corsair 650W PSU and it worked fine. However I did remove the only optical drive in there and plugged this one in so it wasnt powering 2 like my machine was trying to do.

Anyhow clearly the PSU in my PC was powering the older 2 ODD's no problem so that must mean that the new bluray odd requires more power. However I cant imagine it being that much more? The SATA power cable to which it was connected to in my PC was only connected to one other ODD and NOTHING else. I dont think that rail is under any pressure either and would have imagined it being able to handle far more then just 2 ODD's on one SATA power cable. For now I am running the bluray on its own with the other ODD disconnected however I shouldnt have to.

To check I will plug the bluray into the other machine with the other ODD on the same power cable to check if that PSU can handle a normal DVD ODD and a Bluray ODD on a single SATA power cable. Granted that PC is running a lower power GPU but still.... any ideas on this? Should I replace the PSU?

Many Thanks in advance :D

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Did you build this PC too? With past power history, I wonder if there might not be a loose screw or extra standoff under the motherboard.

A BluRay disk may require more than a standard DVD writer, but as you noted, not much.

For now I am running the bluray on its own with the other ODD disconnected however I shouldnt have to.

So it runs fine with one optical but not two, and it does not matter which one? I agree, you should not have too. There should be plenty of power left.

I would make sure your PSU connections are tight and secure. Consider swapping cables since modular. And a different PSU connection too.

If you are sure there's no foreign object under the board, and all cables are secure, and the computer works fine with just one drive connected and not two, then I would swap in that Corsair and see if that fixes it.