Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Netgear VMDG480 Router and Vista Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply

Noggy1

Noggy1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

I recently joined Virgin with the complete package. The router they gave me is a Netgear VMDG480 Router with wireless connection. However, one of the laptops will not connect to the Internet. It fails to pick up the DNS even though the laptop can see the router and makes a connection. However, on making a connection it does not pick up a DNS.

This is odd because when connected wired it works a treat.

This particular laptop runs Vista, and the other laptop that does work wirelessly uses XP Professional.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Thanks

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Noggy1,

I'm going to need a little more information about your Vista laptop's wireless connection to the router. Please perform the following steps to check wireless connectivity. Blue text indicates text you need to enter, bolded text indicates a key press.

• Click on the Vista Start pearl, type cmd into the start search box and press Enter. This will open the Windows Command Prompt.
  • Type in the command ipconfig /all and press Enter. Please note the space after ipconfig.
In your reply, please include the following information found under Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix, DCHP enabled, IPv4 Address, subnet mask, Default Gateway, DHCP server, and DNS Servers.

This information will allow us to find out what the status is of the Vista laptop. I await your reply!

Edited by The Admiral, 17 February 2011 - 08:18 PM.

Noggy1

Noggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

Thanks for the replying.

Sorry for the delay, but I have just got home from work!

Anyhow, this is the info:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: [Blank]
Nothing for DCHP
IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.6
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Nothing for DCHP Server
Nothing for DNS Servers

Any reason what is causing the IP address not being picked up?

JohnnySix

JohnnySix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It sounds like you have a STATIC IP ADDRESS allocated, which means it won't get DNS assigned by DHCP.
You have to go into your WiFi Adapter's Properties, IPv4 config, and set it to DHCP.