Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replace hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

notanexpert!

notanexpert!

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP pavilion dx6000 with windows vista, I've been having a lot of trouble lately with it, it is 2 years old.

most recent error/failure is

SMART failure predicted on hard disk 4: ST980811AS- (S3)

Warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue

I've tried pressing F1 I've tried hard shutting down the computer and starting it again and nothing can get past this screen - F1 does nothing, and restarting I can press F10 but not F11 or F12 to safe boot or anything like that - I've run diagnostics and they say replace hard drive but I've read conflicting reports on the SMART warning so I'm not sure if I really need to replace it - thoughts??? suggestions???

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've run diagnostics and they say replace hard drive but I've read conflicting reports on the SMART warning so I'm not sure if I really need to replace it - thoughts??? suggestions???

What diagnostics Sea Tools for the Seagate drive?
Did it show a failing or failed drive?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Yes, you may have to replace the drive.

First, when your drive is still operating, IMMEDIATELY copy all IMPORTANT data to another PHYSICAL hard drive. Do NOT copy to another partition on the same drive. Remember that your drive may fail at any moment, so you should copy the most important files first. Files that can be replaced should be backed up last.

Then get HDTune free version and install it.
Right click the HDTune icon, select Run as administrator then accept the UAC prompt.
Click the Health tab, then click the Copy information button right next to your drive's temperature, then paste it here.
Do NOT do ANY scan, such as benchmark, error scan (including chkdsk) or hard drive recovery, as this may make the problem WORSE.