Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble with mobo

• Please log in to reply

Andreib18

Andreib18

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi there again ... Yesterday I find a mobo in my parents home and didn't know is workes ... I don't have the cpu for it but ir rest I have allthing ... how can I know if it's working? if I plug an cpu fan and power supply from source .. and mass the pins for starting ?the fan should start? or how can I measure and where (voltage). Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Without a processor a board will do sweet naff all.
Just because fans spin and what not doesn't mean the board works, the fan will spin regardless of what's in the socket.

Andreib18

Andreib18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
yap but I'm asking because the mobo seems do be broken and I have time I'll check the bios battery i don't wanna buy a processor for nothing.Thanks for answer!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

yap but I'm asking because the mobo seems do be broken and I have time I'll check the bios battery i don't wanna buy a processor for nothing.Thanks for answer!

Without a processor that you know works you cannot determine whether the board's any good.
It's kind of like asking how can I tell if the car works and goes without putting any petrol in it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maybe take it to a shop and ask them to check it for you. Most shops will have CPU's from customer upgrades or replacements. Might cost you a few dollars but cheaper then buying a CPU only to find out the board may be bad.