Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

motherboard not posting

• Please log in to reply

walkrx

walkrx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, first time poster seeking some fresh ideas,

Ok this started when I received my new case and power supply in the mail 3 days ago, I unplugged all my peripherals, transferred everything to the new case, and went about plugging everything in (i must say i scratched my motherboard in this process which led me to a decision I will talk about shortly.)

Alright, well after I finished installing everything, I pushed power... no post. I turned it off, checked the connections, no post, freaked out, unplugged everything, dropped down to all different levels of barebone starts, using my old power supply, still no posting, this led me to believe that my motherboard had been damaged.

So, I went ahead and ordered a new motherboard, got it in today, went about the whole process again, still no posting, no beeps, no nothing, went on to realize i made the noob mistake of plugging the cpu in without pulling back the socket lever, well after fixing a few bent pins i went on to try again, no post, went on to trying this with both power supplies, etc. Well, I am not sure where to go on to now, I don't think its the cpu, but am not unwilling to get a new one, I just do not want to get a new one and find out that the same problem still exists and do not want to take my build into any repair shops until i have exhausted all options on my own, I simply do not have another build lying around to go and plug pieces in to figure out what works and what doesnt.

My specs:

cpu: amd phenom II triple core 2.6ghz
Mboard: ASUS M4A77TD (previous mboard: asus m4a78t-e)
Vcard: evga geforce gtx 260
ram: g. skill 4x2gb ddr3 1333
psupply: corsair cmpsu 650tx

any new ideas would be appreciated as to what my options are or anything else i can do.

-walkrx

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi Walkrx, :D

I would use a strong magnifying Glass to inspect the Motherboard and CPU socket. If there is no discernible damage, RMA the board so you can rule it out as the possible problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
In addition to the advice given by iammykyl;

well after fixing a few bent pins

A good way of straightening the bent pins is to use a propeller pencil, empty the lead, depress the button and slide it over the bent pin, release the button and gently ease the pencil upwards so it straightens the pin.
Again use a magnifying glass to check for bent or snapped pins before proceeding with the bench test as detailed below;
Remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card and only insert 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

walkrx

walkrx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Still no post, I believe this may be a cpu problem, A) should I be hearing any beeps from the motherboard if the cpu is simply fried and not being recognized at all? B) is there any way I can check for sure to see if the cpu is running or not? and C) as of now the ONLY cords i am hooking up are the 4 pin 12v and the 20+4 pin power, and then the case power button/reset to turn it on, and the pci-e power cord, am I missing something? I am starting to think that somewhere along this whole process i screwed my cpu so I want to be sure that I'm doing everything correct before I go and order a new one

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

A) should I be hearing any beeps from the motherboard if the cpu is simply fried and not being recognized at all?

Error beeps depend on the BIOS manufacturer, if there is a case or MB speaker and what the CPU error is, not sure if there is one for it being fried.

B) is there any way I can check for sure to see if the cpu is running or not?

No not conclusively, to see if any power is getting to the CPU run the MB for a few moments, shut it down and then quickly but carefully remove the HS and fan, feel if the processor is hot, if it is the CPU may be ok, if it is cold unfortunately it could still be the MB, CPU or both.

C) as of now the ONLY cords i am hooking up are the 4 pin 12v and the 20+4 pin power, and then the case power button/reset to turn it on, and the pci-e power cord, am I missing something?

Keyboard, mouse,CPU fan and video lead.
I suggest you do a bare-bones set-up outside of the case, see the canned text below;
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX and only insert 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.
Check out the tutorial provided by Troy and Artellos here http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ to make sure that you have not overlooked something.
Got to ask this, did you align the CPU correctly as in some CPUs have a gold mark on one corner and the CPU socket a corresponding mark or notch.
If there is a system speaker available try powering up with no Ram fitted, it will not boot obviously but we are checking for error beeps, if it beeps it suggests the Ram may be ok but there is a video problem, if it doesn`t beep it may suggest a PSU or MB issue.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
If you have not started to dissemble you PC, try this, it sometimes allows a system to start.

Switch off the PSU, hold down the case power on button for 20 to 30 seconds, (do not release the button) switch on the PSU.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In addition to all the good advice that has already been given to you I would add this

So, I went ahead and ordered a new motherboard, got it in today,

Please be careful read the excellent link sent to you, otherwise this could prove to be a VERY expensive exercise.

Reading your post carefully I would think I am right in saying that you not assembled a computer before.
The favourite mistake is in the motherboard headers. Especially if the case for the front usb ports and audio is not provided with block connectors, but separate leads.marked for instance "PwrSw + and PwrSw - for the switch and taking great care with the GND pin., and more to the point on the USB headers ONE pin will be ground, another will be USB FP PO.Pwr+ or similar. A connection of the wrong wire to ground and you can say BYE BYE motherboard.
THE SAME APPLIES TO FRONT PANEL AUDIO

If the case provides a block header connection then these are keyed and normally can only be connected one way. HOWEVER unless the CASE is matched to the motherboard, CARE is still required.

Are you aware of anti-static precautions. Wrist strap etc.

Did the CPU come with thermal compund pre appled, or was it a CPU where you have to apply it. If it came pre-applied did you remove the protective film.

MY ADVICE if at all possible, acquire an old throw away computer., that is working but past its useful life. Take it to pieces. -completely and put it back together as advised above. bare testing state first.
You will by doing this - learn enough to then do it for real.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 05:06 PM.