Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i was wondering if anyone had any advice on setting up outlook express? i really like using it on xp however since i have reinstalled xp i dont have all the settings. my internet provider at one time would walk you through everything now they want to charge you for everything.

i can get the pop settings but i dont have the rest.

i can check my email on line so it is not a big deal but if someone has some advice i would like still use the outlook, thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You should be able to get all the settings POP, SMTP and their required format from the provider's website free.
Providing you know your usernames and passwords, and you can get the appropriate server details, that's all you need.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
40Vern
Hello again. Pleased to see you have asked an easier one this time, than the failed install.

Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft...deos/email.mspx

If your email provider is Yahoo.
Go Options, then More Options, then Accounts and POP and forwarding.

If GMail
http://mail.google.c...en&answer=13273

I am sure you will find your own email particulars if it is not these.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 07:03 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey macboatmaster my friend, i could not stay away. their is always allot of very good ideas hear. the info is tops.

i had found the link you posted a week or so ago. right after you helped me repair the old note book. i followed the instructions however i cannot send or receive. it gives me some error messages and i will post them the next i am on that notebook.

i called and got the pop and the smtp settings however it seems like the last time i was helped with it they gave me allot of other information.

anyway i just dropen in to say thanks again and i will get those error messages in a little while.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i changed some settings and now i can receive the messages however i cannot send them, i am getting server error # 502

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://social.techne...cb-74f613123ba3

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've been using Outlook Express almost as long as it's been in existence and I've found it much easier to set up than some of the pretenders.
I've set up literally hundreds of PC's with O.E.6, but my setup is pretty specific, to make the program the simplest and easiest for the user to deal with, day in and day out.
I've never written down my procedure though, as in a tutorial.

I did one setup recently for a friend in California, using the "Team Viewer" software, to take control of his PC. That worked like a champ. I tuned up his whole computer while we chatted on the phone, using the FREE Google Phone.

One of the best email suppliers which I use and set up for my customers, is GMail (Google Mail) which of course is FREE. There is a little tutorial on the GMail site as to how to set up different email programs, including O.E.6.
Initially, I printed out each page of the tutorial and I carried them with me in my "Kit" on every service call. I've now done the setup so many times that I've pretty well got the procedure memorized.
Like most procedures, it's not too hard, but it IS specific.

If you're setting up email supplied by your ISP, they should be glad to walk you through the setup, screen by screen till you've got it right. If you get a tech that won't help you, ask to speak with a Supervisor.

Good Luck,
The Shadow :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

One of the best email suppliers which I use and set up for my customers, is GMail (Google Mail) which of course is FREE. There is a little tutorial on the GMail site as to how to set up different email programs, including O.E.6.

Already sent it on my post 3.

http://mail.google.c...en&answer=13273

and the one for Yahoo.. His post 5 is the current problem.

am getting server error # 502

I think he has an error in outgoing server settings
My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication:

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 February 2011 - 07:31 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

You should be able to get all the settings POP, SMTP and their required format from the provider's website free.
Providing you know your usernames and passwords, and you can get the appropriate server details, that's all you need.

i got it with this post. thanks everyone. i was able to go on line and log on to my account and get some settings. i entered the settings and had to play around with a couple of boxes, i would check one box and try to send myself and email. i had to do this a couple of times and finally i got a combo. that worked. one of the numbers that i had on the outgoing mail box was wrong.

anyway thank everyone for offering some advice. i really like outlook and have used it for a very long. use windows live mail on 07 but i think i like outlook better.