Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen, Not Booting, etc.

• Please log in to reply

inflameswetrust

inflameswetrust

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Here's the story. My friend got a new laptop, and it came with Win 7 of course. He had a writing tablet that communicates the pen strokes to the computer, but it's old and incompatible with Win 7. So I tried to help him downgrade to Win XP, since he had had it working on XP before. I booted from an XP setup disc, and it blue screened right at the part where it says "Starting Windows"... It has done this consistently with different XP discs and a 98 disc. So I Installed XP on the drive by plugging it into another computer. It worked fine, and XP seems to be successfully installed, the only problem is that the laptop won't boot off of the hard drive now. Also on an unrelated note, when he gave the laptop to me, he had the MyWebSearch smiley toolbar. I've reformatted the drive like 5 times since then and deleted all the partitions, so that shouldn't matter.

So how can I get the laptop to boot off the hard drive, and get everything back to normal?

Also, my first guess would be that the memory is bad, so I'm running memtest86 on it right now, and I did the BIOS memtest which turned out good.

Also, this is the blue screen error I get, or at least the first 2 sections of it.
0x0000007b 0xf78da63c

Also, he received the laptop in the mail about 4 days ago.

Edit: memtest came out good, as well as Spinrite

Edited by inflameswetrust, 19 February 2011 - 07:39 PM.

Advertisements