Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP3 - Attempts to update software result in looping.

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

13th Feb - 2 attempts at kb 911895 both failed error 0x800 70005
14th 2 attempts at 911895 both failed 0x800 080110
16th 2 successes kb911895

KB911895 is a generic KB number for ANY/ALL third-party driver updates offered by Windows Update.

============

Tip: Only obtain needed driver updates from the device or computer manufacturers' download page, NEVER Windows Update (i.e., hide any driver updates offered via Windows Update).

Have you a wireless keyboard or mouse installed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
BT Software - just to reinforce what I have said.
The BT CD contains several things which can cause problems with Windows.

NB. The Yahoo Browser sometimes installs Yahoo Toolbar on your non-BT Internet Explorer which can cause problems with IE7 or 8. (Hub V2 is currently supplied with IE7 version of BT browser so that is not so bad, although it is still full of adverts.)
Removal of the Yahoo toolbar from IE7 should not be attempted. It should be sufficient to disable it in the IE7 toolbar options.

The CD also contains a Wireless Manager. This should manage your Wi-Fi signal from the Hub to the PC instead of the Windows one. However it can also cause conflict even when the option to use Windows manager instead has been selected. Hub version 2 has a new version but it still caused my XP machine to not connect.

The other software such as Desktop Help and Hub Manager are superfluous. Desktop help seems to invite you to install an update that never seems to work either.

If you READ THE HOMEHUB MANUAL you will find in all versions that BT actually give full instructions how to run your PC without installing the CD-ROM so you have BT's blessing (if you feel you need it) .
To Delete the software
Go to START - All Programs - then if there is a group of programs called BT (or similar) select the Uninstall Option.

Then go to Windows "Control Panel" and select "Add or Remove Programs" or in Vista/Win7 Control panel its Programs/Uninstall a program, and look to see if any BT software still exists. If so hit the Uninstall or Remove option.

Finally go to My Computer, Explore the C:/Program Files folder and look for any folders beginning BT...
Look especially for the BT wifi manager Tray Icon C:\Program Files\btbb_wcm\McciTrayApp.exe
If you find this or any other BT folders delete them.

In the absence of the software you need to know how to manage your BT environment. Using your normal web browser:-
For BT MAIL use http://www.bt.yahoo.com and click on Mail.
For BT Hub Admin use http://bthomehub.home

Set both of these in your Browser Favorites or Bookmarks.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2011 - 01:47 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Started at about 9:15 this morning and logon was , as usual, slow - but surprisingly continued to be slow for a lot longer than I could tolerate. I'd done a number of searches that had taken for ever and I decided to shutdown and try a reboot to see if that made any difference. Clicked on shut down at 'start' and was presented with the second shut down button BUT no warning message that says 'click here if you DONT want to do updates'. So pondered for a while as I did not want to get the usual 1 of 7 updating message - decided that a RESTART would be safer. Clicked on RESTART and up came a message saying updating 5 of 7 !!.Have migrated to my wife's laptop and am now enjoying a speedy machine (4Gb) while the other one chuggs away again.

Well it explains why it was so slow, I really hadn't suspected 'cos there was not much activity on the HDD. Also explains why we had a set of 7 rejects dated 25th yesterday.

Thought that I'd reply to your earlier questions and then go back to attack the BT removals when the updating has stopped.

I do understand that having less clutter on the desktop will be advantageous in terms of faster loading etc. Even though the 'old' machine had a lot of clutter on the desktop I was not getting any startup delays , but will strive to keep the desktop in a more clear state in future. If you have (say) 25 'icons' on a desktop each of them giving access to a website or program. Is it better to group them into 5 folders of 5 each or leave them as 25 separates ?
(2) When I right click on the c:\ symbol I get the following tabs General,Tools, Hardware, Sharing, Quota. The general tab contains a highly coloured piechart and I usually go to this page when I undo the indexing before defragmenting. BUT no 'security' anywhere that I can find What am I doing wrong ?
(3) No mention of 64 anywhere.Actually I DID know that which is why I was so surprised to see the saved item I mentioned yesterday. When asked to download programs I always opt to 'save' before running and I put them in a special folder and not into 'My Documents' which is the usual offering. Probably gives me a lot more clutter, but my idea was that it enable me to reload quickly if necessary and in addition it usually gave me a good reference of the current version that I was using.

It's quite likely that I deliberately used Windows Update when I was searching for something to cure the big problem.

About four or five months ago I bought a cheap Labtec WiFi keyboard and mouse and they worked quite well, but I got annoyed with the keyboard and decided to swap for a MS pair. That would be about 6 weeks ago. Then the cat knocked down the keyboard and it would not start up again. So, for a while I had to recall the labtec keyboard and I worked with two 'central boxes' plugged in. THEN came the troubles and I had all sorts of problems getting the WiFi things to work. Got thoroughly cheesed off with them and borrowed PS2 keyboard from a daughter and bought a new USB mouse. You've now explained to me why they wouldn't work I think, but it was very intermittent.

Will now go and examine the BT situation - have already determined that there are 670 files on C:\ with bt* in title - not all belong to BT of course.
Control Panel has a BTHUB entry and a BTYAHOO MAIL entry. I think that I should keep the latter. OK?

Is there any way that we can prevent these updates from appearing ? 'twould make life a bit easier and avoid having to wait for them to finish. (They failed to update again today - same codes as usual)

Edited by RonS2, 26 February 2011 - 07:36 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. To reveal the Security tab follow three simple steps:

• Open Windows Explorer, and choose Folder Options from the Tools menu.
  • On the View tab, scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings and clear (click) the check box next to "Use Simple File Sharing."
  • Click OK to apply the change, and you should now have a Security tab when viewing the properties of a file on an NTFS volume
That said, I do not think it is a permissions problem., in view of recent posts,it may well be simply, interruption of the update downloading or installing. Lets see how it goes with the latest set.

2. BTYAHOO MAIL entry. I think that I should keep the latter. OK?
What can I say except - to repeat what I have already said. Uninstall ALL BT software using the porcedure I have sent you. I have particularly covered BT Yahoo mail.

3. Desktop icons
It is all relative, every icon and the background has to be loaded. However they are only shortcuts and the time difference in loading can hardly be measured. I have seen computers where every possible shortcut was placed on the desktop, that is NOT I think a good idea. If you regularly use the program then YES have a shortcut if not, just access it in the normal way. If you right click the desktop there is then, under arrange icons by -the desktop cleanup wizard. That all said I would not worry too much about it.

4. Re post 30, that Windows Imaging component 64 bit
I am at a loss to understand how you have that 64bit. It is basically a Microsoft item to enable speedier viewing of certain images.
wic_x86_enu.exe issued Nov 2009 This is the one you should have.

HOWEVER PLEASE LEAVE IT FOR THE TIME BEING

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 08:04 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Download this please
http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

Run the program and the results will be saved to a text file.
Zip it and attach it to your next post. ENSURING YOU DELETE any Product keys and personal information BEFORE doing so.
You will have to zip the file it is too large to send otherwise.
If you have a problem with attaching it here PM me and I will send you my email.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 08:27 AM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
(1) When I go to Explorer/Tools/FolderOptions/View and scroll down to the bottom I do NOT have an entry that says 'Use simple file sharing'
(2) I did a search for "wic_" and the only file with that in the title was the one I named yesterday with x64 in it. No trace of a x86.
(3) Am hoping to attach the Win Audit file that you wanted. I had not zipped anything before so had to drum up a prog to do it. Now let's see if I can attach this.

Can't find a button for attach or a helpful HELP file to tell me.

Sorry to be so useless, in my day we used smoke signals. I'll PM you my email address.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. To attach the file When you select reply then select use full editor - there is the click to attach files.

2. See my screenshot. for simple file sharing.
Open My Computer.
On the menu bar click the tools tab.
then click the entry folder options.
Then when that opens click the View tab, second from the left top bar.
In the main window scroll down , - probably last entry is - as per my screenshot.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 12:11 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Read & replied to email before I read p37.

I'm using Classic Windows and list of options is as follows. (first few words only)
Automatic search
Display the size info
Display simple folder view
Display the contents
Display the full path
Display the full path
Do not cache
Hidden
Do not show
show hidden
Hide extension
Hide protected
Launch Folder
Remember each folder
Restore previous
Show control panel
Show encrypted
Show popups

No bottom line like yours. Can I pick it up somewhere else in the computer.

Skimming through the .txt Audit file I noticed that there were one or two duplicate entries of items with a .NET entry could that be significant?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My apologies, until I just started to analyse the WinAudit, forgot you were on XP Home and not XP Professional.
You are quite correct it is not there on Home
However, if you are running XP Home Edition, the process is slightly different. With this edition of XP, Simple File Sharing cannot be disabled. Assuming that your hard drive has been formatted with NTFS, you can display the Security tab by booting into Safe Mode and logging in with the Administrator account.

Offline for 2 hrs or so.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 01:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the Win Audit
1. Ken Wards Zipper.
Ken Ward's zipper 1.4 is a free file compression utility. With this basic utility, you can create and zip archives. It works fine but it's useless if you have Windows XP or Vista, because you can create, open and extract ZIP archives within Windows Explorer without the help of any additional program.

2. Duplicate Cleaner 1.4.6 DigitalVolcano
You should only use duplicate cleaner if you understand your computer's file system, and you know what you are doing!
Always remember that data should be backed up regularly. We take no liability for any data lost or damaged through use or misuse of this software. We recommend that important data is backed up prior to the use of this software, and deletion to the recycle bin is always selected. Also, you should always check that your recycle bin is enabled in Windows' own settings (right click-properties on bin).

Duplicate Cleaner looks for files on your hard disc that appear twice. There may be a good reason for this - a program may require a file in a certain place to work. If in doubt, do not delete a file!

3.Index.dat Suite
Vendor Ur I.T. Mate Group
The deleting of dat files is unnecessary in XP. Windows will manage the file system and any intervention is dangerous.

4 PowerDVD
Vendor CyberLink Corporation
Version 7.0.1702.0
I would guess that this was installed with a DVD drive.
If you are ONLY using it as a way to play DVD`s as the plug in for Windows Media player to do that is not installed then a far better one that will play more or less anything you wish is
http://www.vlcmediaplayer.net/

The Cyberlink Power DVD version is Old and unless it incorporates the full version, which I do not think it does of actually making up media files from separate media clips etc and incorporating sound to your pictures with titles etc to create a video, it is really of no benefit.

5. Avast and Online Armor are EXCELLENT programs - HOWEVER you do not have the resources by way of ram to run them
I strongly advise you uninstall them. Rely on the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials
Pls see this link
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/
With your already installed Malwarebytes used every so often, say weekly you will be well protected.
I take it MBAM is the free edition that does NOT provide real time protection, as if it is the purchased edition that does, then you should NEVER run TWO anti-virus programs.

MORE TO FOLLOW.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Adobe Air

Desktop system requirements for Adobe Air.

Windows
  • Intel® Pentium® III processor (Pentium 4 recommended)
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, Professional, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2 or 3, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (including 64-bit editions) with Service Pack 1, or Windows 7
  • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
I very much doubt you need this. Adobe Reader as you know is to enable PDF files to be read and Adobe Flash player and its plug ins, which you will find on Control Panel Add Remove programs are required but this is a Adobe program that is probably not needed.
The problem is that Adobe whilst still the recognised market leader in its field has become quite bloated in some respects and quite frequently installs more than is required.
THIS IS THE PROBLEM with simply accepting all offered updates.
If it was me I would uninstall it.
If you find out that you do need it, it is simple to install it again.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 03:57 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
(1) Did not know how to use Windows to do the zipping, so D/Ld this to send you your admin file. Will go searching the manuals now to find out about using Windows.

(2) Only use it for .jpgs basing duplication on checksums. Excellent for tidying up bad photo husbandry.

(3) A survivor from some while ago , cant remember why I had it. Will get rid.

(4) PowerDVD was installed by my local wizard when he did last repair. Don't thimk it's complete. When he did the repair I had a CDRW drive that would read dvds. Since then I've changed it to a NEC DVDRW/CDRW. (I think that the changeover was done AFTER the computer started to misbehave), but the reason for changing was because when I was trying to get out of the fault which would not let me boot up beyond the Dell Logo screen, I managed to check pretty well all the hardware devices by holding down F12 when the computer was switched on and then taking advantage of the various tests that could be run and the Cd Drive had a couple of faults listed by the tests.

(5) At the time of that last crash (31/01/2011) - see page 1 - I was running AVG and Online Armor. After my local wizard had repaired the machine he returned it to me with Avast in place. I had been using AVG together with Online Armor for a very long time with no invasions at all and no hiccups from either program and was verty happy with them. Haven't really had time to assess Avast, but am glad to hear you approve.

You will have gathered that I'm in favour of the 'free' software. I did use McAfee a few years ago and we still do on the laptop (it's free for 15months) but their increased charges were getting to be a problem.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I'll be quite happy to get rid of Adobe Air , it arrived magically from Adobe some while ago , I told Online Armor to accept it 'cos I thought it was a 'must' update but really have not looked into what it is and what it does. A lot of the stuff I pick up from genealogical files needs Adobe Acrobat though. Honestly cannot remember which flash player I use - probably Real.

If we get this beast working again I'll have a look around to see if I can update the RAM. Will have to buy 2x512 I think. Pity I can't buy some for my own memory.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The object of all this is to get rid of as much as possible, especially those programs that may be causing problems.
If you do decide to upgrade the ram, you can of course then go back to all of these if you feel it necessary.
I have totalled the use of ram for the Online Armor and the Avast. It is FAR MORE than you would use running the Windows Firewall, which with the addeed security of IE8 is good enough for you.
This with MSE will make a tremendous difference to your system.
As soon as you have done this, we can then concentrate NOW on the update situation.

You really need to examine what is offered with an update before just clicking update. For instance the Adobe software for the Adobe reader now automatically installs a McAfee scan unless yo click to CLEAR the box.
Here is the link just to show what I mean.
http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

You have this installed
http://www.exifpro.com/index.html
BUT the one you have is an old version
ExifPro 1.0 Photo Viewer
and many bugs have been fixed since then.
If you have the paid for version - I do not know if a free update is offered.
See this link for all the bug fixes since your version.
http://www.exifpro.com/history.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2011 - 05:50 PM.

RonS2

RonS2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
(1) I am aware of the sneaky ways that software developers attempt to get their toolbars etc launched on my screen and generally I deliberately look for the darn things so I can delete them, but , occasionally I miss out.

(2) The exifpro software was installed by my local wizard when he reinstalled the machine about 12th February. I intended to sniff it out and delete if of no use , but our particular update problem started about 14th/15th Feb and I've been too busy since.

(3) Throughout our cooperation on this problem you have justifiably criticised my system for (a)Shortage of RAM (b) Possession of too many out-of-date/useless/RAM-hungry programs (c ) Having the wrong sort of protection software. I accept that my system is somewhat ramshackle based as it is on free software. Nevertheless it has served me well for some time and I feel that our current problem is not necessarily due to lack of the right protection or shortage of RAM but more likely due to improper updating of the necessary correct Windows/Microsoft programs. After all the system used to cope with updates OK.

I would have preferred us to have found the update problem and cured it before we set about doing the spring clean, thinking along the lines of - "If we cannot cure the update fault then we are going to have to format the HDD anyway" - But I have learned a lot from the route that we have taken and the sites that I have had to visit.

(4) That said you are now flogging MSE to me in conjunction with Windows firewall and I have to be honest and say that if possible, I would rather stay with my familiar combination of Online Armor and either AVG or AVAST, whichever you feel would be least RAM expensive. My former usage of AVG and OA did not seem to leave me with a slow speed machine despite your misgivings. I am not familiar with AVAST - again it was put on by my local wizard , I know that it has a good reputation too.
I read an article about MSE and its RAM usage. I'm not clever enough to copy it on to this page , but you can probably locate it at :-

//answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_updating/slowdown-dutin-mse-updating

there should be another 36 characters on the end of that address. (worse than Llanfairpwllgwyngyll etc). It seems to suggest that MSE would be more RAM consuming than all the rest put together.

(5) In #33 I asked if the updating which slows down my computer for two and a quarter hours every morning, could be stopped. I have now turned off automatic updating in 'My Computer' / Properties. If you disapprove I can click it back on. Don;t know whether it's going to work though.

I'm delighted to see that you are now thinking about the updating problem #44
"As soon as you have done this, we can then concentrate NOW on the update situation"

But there does seem to be a implication there - that if I don't do that there will be no update correction attempt . Is this the case ??

Edited by RonS2, 27 February 2011 - 10:30 AM.