Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No BOOT after Vista SP1 Update

• Please log in to reply

giovi69

giovi69

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello!!

Last night I was prompted by Windows Update to update my OS (VISTA HOME PREMIUM) with Service Pack 1, but after installation my Laptop has no longer been able to boot Windows.

I tried to launch Windows in SAFE MODE or to restore it to an earlier point in time but both attempts failed to work.

Actually I only have one RESTORE POINT which keeps on hanging indefinitely and never completes final restore.

So it appears that VISTA SP1 update has deleted all previous restore points messing up the registry of my PC: honestly I believe that it's a shame for Microsoft that these regrettable events may happen, taking into account that all my troubles have been caused by Windows Update Service.

Any idea why did this mess happen?

What can I do to solve this issue once & for all?

Of course, I could reformat the entire OS with my VISTA Restore DVD but if I do that I'll lose all my files and data stored in partition C.

Can I somehow copy my data from this drive to another computer or external device so as not to lose my files??

For instance I found this tool but never used it till now:

http://www.optimizin...al_vistape.html

Does anybody know whether or not it is fit for purpose??

Alternatively, can I slipstream SP1 or remove it from my system and then do a repair on Windows???

Hope to hear from you soon.

Edited by giovi69, 19 February 2011 - 12:50 PM.

Advertisements

BrussleSprouts

BrussleSprouts

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Seeing as you can log in with SAFEMODE I would recommend running a disk check. To do this perform the following:

After booting into SAFEMODE, press the start button. In the search bar type CMD and press enter. Once the command line window opens type chkdsk /r (with a space between the k and /), after typing that in press Enter. It will tell you that it cannot check the disk now but ask if you want to schedule it to run on the next start. Press Y and then Enter. You can now shut the window and restart the computer. The scan should run as the computer starts up.

If the CHKDSK utility worked and allows you to boot properly, but SP1 is still not installed, I would also recommend you download and run Microsoft's CheckSUR program (aka System Update Readiness Tool). This will scan your system and install any missing updates that may cause SP1 installation issues. This scan can also take quite a while to run but make sure you let it finish. After the tool finishes its scan it wont tell you what it fixed, but you can find the logs here: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log and here: C:Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

I hope this helps :D

Edited by BrussleSprouts, 19 February 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
BrusselSprouts

I tried to launch Windows in SAFE MODE or to restore it to an earlier point in time but both attempts failed to work.

I will of course stand corrected but the above tends to suggest that he cannot. -

Seeing as you can log in with SAFEMODE

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 05:49 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
giovi69

VISTA Restore DVD

OEM DVD I presume.
Make and full model of computer please..

Have a look at this please
http://windows.micro...ecovery-Console

Establish your system recovery options, if available enter command prompt option and run chkdsk as advised in post 2.

See this please for HOW - look at method 2.
http://www.vistax64....isk-chkdsk.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 05:59 PM.

BrussleSprouts

BrussleSprouts

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

My bad, I misread :D

Actually I only have one RESTORE POINT which keeps on hanging indefinitely and never completes final restore.

I took this to mean he was able to boot in to safe mode but was unable to complete the restore.

giovi69

giovi69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi dudes!!

Thanks for your prompt reply!!

Yes I confirm that I'm NOT able to launch Windows Vista in SAFE MODE (even with the Networking and Command Prompt option), so I can neither run any Disk Check nor download and run Microsoft's CheckSUR program (aka System Update Readiness Tool), unless I can boot it from a CD (can I do it via BIOS??).

For instance, I've just tried to enter into SAFE MODE using the COMMAND PROMPT Option but once reaching the windows file \Windows\ System32\drivers\crcdisk.sys the loading Windows files process started hanging and stopped working.

And even the STARTUP REPAIR option from the ADVANCED BOOT OPTION SCREEN does not work!!!!

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHY ALL THIS MESS HAPPENED AFTER DOWNLOADING SP1 UPDATE??

So as matters stand the only way to solve this issue appears to be to format the system and restore it to factory defaults.

But if I do that I'll lose all my files in partition C: that's why I'm looking for a way to retrieve them before formatting the entire partition once again.

Can I do that by applying the option REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER from the Restore DVD as described here??

http://www.vistax64....covery-options.

Anyway...now I try to apply method 2 as shown here (see link below) and I'll let you know if I solved my issue or not, ok???

But how about the other methods??

As for the VISTA DVD...yes, I created a restore DVD from the system (so it's a OEM DVD), but I've never used it till now...so don't know if I can repair the HD from there without losing all my files in partition C.

In the guide of my laptop (Packard Bell) they say I could even restore my PC partially saving the personal data and files of my profile, but I'm not sure if this means saving the files in partition C.

Laptop Details

- Packard Bell EASYNOTE MX51-F-034
- CPU AMD SEMPRON 3400 + 1.8 GHz
- RAM: 2GB
- HD: 80 GB + Wireless Lan Card
- Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 with 320 MB Turbocache
- DVD Dual + R9

Wait for your feedback to my questions.

giovi69

giovi69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

My bad, I misread :D

I took this to mean he was able to boot in to safe mode but was unable to complete the restore.

Yes...after trying to boot into SAFE MODE the system starts loading the Windows files stored in the "system32 folder" but once reaching the file \Windows\System32\drivers\crcdisk.sys the process hangs on and then stop working, leaving me empty-handed (it says "please wait" but nothing happens afterwards).

And all of the other options available in the System Recovery Options menu (startup repair, System Restore, Command Prompt etc... ) do not work as well!!

Woe is me!!!

BrussleSprouts

BrussleSprouts

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Unfortunately I was unable to find any specific information about that systems recovery disk. Have you tried to boot from it yet? It should not start any installation without you telling it to, so if you could provide us a list of the options that the disk gives you that would be a great help. :D

If that is not something you are comfortable with you can follow the instructions below to burn yourself a copy of the recovery console.
This is not a full OS disk, you will not be able to reinstall your OS with it. It just contains the recovery console that will help you repair your system:

Now I am proceeding under the assumption that you have access to another computer (with you posting on this site), and that you have admin/install rights on it.

First you will need to go this site and download your appropriate OS recovery ISO (you will need to determine whether you have 32bit or 64bit OS)

Vista

Next you will need to burn the ISO image to a disk. For that you will need ImgBurn, and you can download that here.

After you have downloaded the appropriate ISO and installed ImgBurn (make sure you do not install any toolbars while installing this program, I believe it will give you that option), you need to start ImgBurn. Once started you need to click on the Write image file to disk button. At the top of the page it will ask you for a source (which is the ISO you downloaded). Click on the small folder button to the right and it will open another window so you can point it to the location where you downloaded the file. After you have indicated the appropriate file insert a disk, make sure you put a check mark in the Verify box, then press the Write button at the bottom.

Once the disk finishes burning you can use it to boot into the recovery console and run the chkdsk utility as stated here.

See this please for HOW - look at method 2.

I hope this is of help to you. :D

giovi69

giovi69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi!!

Many thanks for ur small guide on how to create a Vista Recovery Disc...

Unfortunately I don't have a broadband connection here where I am now (just a [bleep] slow 56K dial up conncetion) so it takes me ages to download the ISO file (about 8 hours starting from now if I'm lucky...LOL!).

I don't use ImgBurn to burn an ISO Image but I believe that I won't experience any problem using another similar tool.

As for the options displayed by Vista Recovery Section, well these are the same as the ones listed here:

http://windows.micro...n-Windows-Vista

Besides these, there is a further option of my laptop manifacturer that allows you to completely restore VISTA to the factory defaults or to restore it partially, so that you can save the personal user accounts data & files...but honestly don't know what this really means.

I still didn't try if this procedure really works (see link below) bcs I don't know what's inside my OEM VISTA DVD.

http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

Now I try to implement this procedure (see link below) although I'm pretty sure that my OEM VISTA DVD is just a clone of the hard drive:

But, as matters stand, it looks like the best solution for me is to download the VISTA Recovery ISO File from here:

http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

Finally...do you know why all of this mess occurred?

I mean, after all I had just downloaded a Windows Update with a genuine OS and not a bloody crack full of crap...LOL!

Ever heard something like this before??

And does this mean that from now on I'd better never again download any Vista Update in the future (SP1 for instance) even if I'm prompted to do so by Microsoft itself??

That's crazy, isn't it?

Talk to you later (hope in 8 hours time...LOL!!)

Edited by giovi69, 20 February 2011 - 12:31 PM.

BrussleSprouts

BrussleSprouts

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well this is good:

As for the options displayed by Vista Recovery Section, well these are the same as the ones listed here:

Your going to want to click on the Command Prompt option.

Once there it will show you a list of installed OS's, there should only be one of them. Select the number associated with your OS. It will then ask you for the Administrator Password. After you enter that you should be left with a line that looks like this: C:\Windows\system32>

At this point you need to type chkdsk /r (with a space between the k and the /).
After you type that in press Enter. The scan can take some time but be sure to let it run its course.

Finally...do you know why all of this mess occurred?

I mean, after all I had just downloaded a Windows Update with a genuine OS and not a bloody crack full of crap...LOL!

There can be several reasons, the time that I had experienced this issue it was a combination of Malware and corrupted updates that were required for SP1 to install properly. If you are able to complete the chkdsk scan and the computer will boot properly it would be a good idea to follow the instructions at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide before trying any other system updates. After the folks over there verify that your system looks clean you can go here and download the program to verify that your system is ready to update to SP1.

I hope this helps :D

Advertisements

giovi69

giovi69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Well this is good:

Your going to want to click on the Command Prompt option.

Once there it will show you a list of installed OS's, there should only be one of them. Select the number associated with your OS. It will then ask you for the Administrator Password. After you enter that you should be left with a line that looks like this: C:\Windows\system32>

At this point you need to type chkdsk /r (with a space between the k and the /).
After you type that in press Enter. The scan can take some time but be sure to let it run its course.

After entering Command Prompt I've been left with a line that looks like this:

X:\Windows\system32> instead of C:\Windows\system32> (how is it possible??)

But once typing chkdsk /r it said that it could not perform any check disk bcs the disk is protected!!!

So I decided to type in chkdsk C: /r and finally it started to scan the entire system!!!

Now the scansion has finished but situation seems to be the same as before, except the fact that I have now 2 OS:

1. Windows Vista Home Premium (the Original one)
2. Windows Vista Restored Version

But guess what? None of them works!!!

If I try to launch Windows Vista Restored Version the process stops working once reaching 28578/91495 derived data in the REGISTRY\MACHINE\COMPONENTS path!!

So what can I do now to solve this issue?

Vista Recovery Disk??

And how about Slipstream Service Pack 1 and then do a repair on Windows following the steps described here??

http://www.briteccom...sta-sp1-update/

Edited by giovi69, 20 February 2011 - 07:08 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi giovi69,

I don't make it a habit to just jump in on threads to prevent confusion for the original poster (OP).

But above you stated:

So as matters stand the only way to solve this issue appears to be to format the system and restore it to factory defaults.

But if I do that I'll lose all my files in partition C: that's why I'm looking for a way to retrieve them before formatting the entire partition once again.

I'm posting to let you know that there is a way to retrieve your important files. A bit tedious yet can be accomplished with patience, a spare CD or DVD and a burner.

See link--> http://www.shockfami...cedric/knoppix/

Once your files are retrieved, depending on exactly what disks you have, you can then proceed to either repair your OS or perform a complete factory restore if they are recovery disks. If it is a retail Vista OS disk, that will do a clean install and wipe everything on the HD.

This is the most important reason why we encourage everyone to back up their files as much as possible to USB flash drives, CD/DVD's, external drives, or on line storage facilities.

Jumping out! Good luck!

Donna

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
YOU can indeed use Knoppix - as posted by DonnaB.
You may however, as you only wish to recover your data, find this slightly easier, as the links are direct to the downloads and ALL the instructions are on the thread.

If you do use Knoppix, the current version is 6.4.3. There is a just issued BETA version. DO NOT USE THE BETA version, it is basically software issued for testing purposes..
The decision is yours but whilst Knoppix is excellent, I am reasonably certain you wil find Puppy easier.to use

See this and make that Puppy Linux CD

There are a number of ways of recovering your data. One is below and probably one of the best.
Puppy Linux
See this link
http://distro.ibibli...fulldrivers.iso
Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd using this
http://www.snapfiles...dlburncdcc.html

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....
• Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Make sure the cd you burned is in the cd drive before clicking Y and then your system will reboot. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds - but THIS GUIDE is for using a USB flash pen or hard drive.
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..
after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...
now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...
your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive.. and download to another computer.
Ensure the other computer can read them...
now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..
Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption.

POSTED with due acknowledgement to Happyrock and other contributors to this.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 February 2011 - 11:29 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Execellent move Macboatmaster! My link is quite outdated and I could/can not find one that is/was more appropriate than yours. I will add this to my "library of bookmarks" for future use. :D

@ giovi69,

You're in good hands here at GTG. Follow Macboatmasters guidance in his last post above to retrieve your files with the Puppy Linux CD.

Good luck!

Donna :D

giovi69

giovi69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello dudes!!

Thank you very much for your last messages and sorry if I reply to you only now but I've been away for a while.

I'll try your tools soon (probably in a couple of hours) and I'll let you know if I've been able to retrieve my files or not....ok??

You know, till now the only tool capable of doing this, I was aware of, was VistaPE (MB 80 ISO FILE) but it requires WAIK (1 GB ISO FILE) in order to work, so I could not use it due to my slow connection (no broadband dconnection here).

Ever heard about this tool??

As for the backup of my files, yes I should have done it but honestly I didn't know that a simple VISTA Update prompted me by Microsoft could cause such a mess on the registry of my PC (it's Microsoft to blame here and not me), not to mention that my laptop was pretty new and didn't save lots of files in partition C (only OFFICE 2007 Enterprise and a couple of other files).

In the meantime, I didn't twiddle my thumbs so I decided to email Microsoft Support asking them for help.

A few hours later I received their answer from a Microsoft Advisor and to my great surprise his ACTION PLAN to solve my issue was a little bit different than yours.

MICROSOFT ACTION PLAN

1. Insert the Windows Vista disc and restart the computer

(I suppose he means this, right?? ==> http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/)

NOTE: If you do not have the Windows Vista DVD and Windows came pre-installed on the computer, then restart the computer/laptop and press F8 to boot the computer in Advanced Boot Options.
Choose Repair Your Computer and, once loaded, follow the steps from STEP 3 onwards.

2. On prompt, Press Any Key to Boot from CD or DVD and then press ENTER to try to boot the computer using the Windows Vista Disc.

3. Click on NEXT on Language and Keyboard Layout.

4. On the next screen, click on REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER on the left hand side bottom corner to launch the Windows Recovery Environment with the following options:

o Startup Repair

o System Restore

o Complete PC Restore

o Memory Diagnostic Tool

o Command Prompt

5. Click on COMMAND PROMPT to launch with X:\>Sources Command Line.

6. Now type C: and press enter to change the Command Line.

7. Now type CD WINDOWS\WINSXS and press enter to change the Command Line to

C:\Windows\Winsxs\>

8. Now next to C:\Windows\Winsxs\> Type the following command to rename the above found files.

ren pending.xml pending.old

9. Now next to C:\Windows\Winsxs\> type CD.. and press Enter to change the Command Line to C:\Windows\>

10. Now type CD SYSTEM32 and press enter to change the Command Line to

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\>

11. Next to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\> type REGEDIT.EXE and press enter to launch Registry Editor.

NOTE: When prompted "Windows Needs your permission" click CONTINUE.

12. Now go-to the following location in Regist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Components

13. Right click on the above Registry location and click Export and save it by the name as Test on the desktop.

14. Now highlight the Components folder in the above Registry Editor and look for the below mentioned registry keys and right click on them and click DELETE to delete the registry keys.

AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

PendingXmlIdentifier

15. One you have deleted the above registry keys, close the Registry Editor window.

16. Now type EXIT next to C:\Windows\System32\> and press enter.

17. Now close the open windows to restart the computer and check the status whether we are able to boot to the desktop or not. If not follow the next steps.

18. Insert the Windows Vista disc and restart the computer.

19. On prompt, Press Any Key to Boot from CD or DVD. press ENTER to try to boot the computer using the Windows Vista Disc.

20. Click on Next on Language and Keyboard Layout.

21. On the next screen, click on Repair Your Computer on the left hand side bottom corner to launch the Windows Recovery Environment with the following options:

o Startup Repair

o System Restore

o Complete PC Restore

o Memory Diagnostic Tool

o Command Prompt

22. Click on System Restore and again try to restore the computer back to the date when SP1 was not installed.

23. Once the System Restore is successfully completed, restart the computer on prompt to check whether we are able to boot to the desktop or not.

You can also find these steps on our support website http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support and the article # is KB949358.

Now everything went fine until I reached STEP 13, as once there I got stuck since the system did not recognize the following path (it says it does not exist):

X:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop\test.reg

I suppose the right path should be as follows, right??

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop\test.reg
14??

So the question is: how can I enter the right path so as to save the .reg file on the desktop and then progress to 14??

Of course I've emailed Microsoft back asking them the same question about 4 hours ago but still didn't get any reply from them.

So if somebody here knows the right answer, please do not hesitate to let me know asap...ok??

Cheers from Italy!!

Edited by giovi69, 22 February 2011 - 02:07 PM.