Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No RPC or Task Bar

• Please log in to reply

raygk

raygk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a problem with my computer that has me stumped. Please help. I have looked around for a solution but have found nothing that helps. I searched here too but could not find an discussion of this problem. I hope I posted this thread to the right forum.

The computer:
Asus PB5B-E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU
2 GB of DDR2 Ram
4 Hard drives
CD Rom
DVD RW
Windows XP Pro SP3 OS up to date

Description:
My computer stoped working (would not turn on) and I replaced a failed power supply. When I try to start some programs by clicking on their icons I get an error message that says the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) server is not running (or something like that). I do not get an "RPC unavailable" error message. I also get desktop icons but no Task Bar. From the Windows Task Manager I see the RPC has status of "Started" and Startup Type of "Automatic". If I refresh the RPC I can then run the programs by clicking on there icons. I can then also stop the explore process and re-start it as a new task. Then I get the desktop icons back and the task bar shows. Everything seems to be working properly and I can run programs, email and get on the web. After I turn off and re-start the computer I have to repeat this whole process to get everything looking normal again.

What I have done:
I checked for virus/malware using Avast anti-virus, Malwarebyte Anti-malware and Spybot SD. The system was clean.

I have tried a backup copy of the operating system which I have on another hard drive. The hard drive with this backup was not in the machine when I had the power failure and was made when the system was working fine. This backup boots ok but gives me the same problem.

Using the normal boot up again, I did a "restore" that was made prior to the power supply failure. This gives the same problems.

I have not yet tried to do a "repair" re-build of Windows XP. Thought I should ask here before I did that and possibly make things worse.

Other than the "repair" re-build I have no idea what to do next. I would appreciate any help I can get - I just am stumped.

Ray

Advertisements