Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jjhudecek

jjhudecek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not the best with computers but from how it was described to me I should be able to take a hard drive out of my laptop and install it along side the hard drive in my inspiron 530. Both are SATA I believe and I would like to be able to have the hard drive from my laptop along side because it has windows 7 with files from school and work. My inspiron has windows vista. Would I be able to just plug and go?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The only way you can do what you are proposing is to use an external USB HDD enclosure.
There are varying types so I have provided you with 2 links, the 1st enclosure will accept
both laptop and desktop HDDs http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182221
This one will accept only laptop HDDs http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817159090
All you need to do is remove the HDD, pop it into the enclosure, power up and your done.
If you want to boot from the enclosure all you need to do is go into the BIOS and change the
boot sequence to USB device 1st, HDD 2nd etc, let us know if you need assistance with this.
A cautionary note though, make sure there are Windows 7 drivers available for your inspiron 530.