Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox downloads keep stopping/stalling

• Please log in to reply

slats7

slats7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The title pretty much says it all. I'll be downloading a file (usually from Easynews or a free file sharing service like Hotfile) and it will stop downloading after a minute or so. Then I have to open the download manager and hit "pause" then "start" to get it going again. I usually have to do this several times for the file to fully complete. I'm pretty sure this is a Firefox problem because similar downloads progress smoothly in Chrome--a browser I'd prefer not to use full-time. The two main pieces of advice I've seen on the Net regarding this problem ("tools - downloads - clear list" or "tools - clear recent history - cache") provide temporary relief but not a permanent solution. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Example of another download that suddenly goes dead:
Posted Image

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I don't have any downloading issues with FF (which I use all the time) on Windows 7.
Are you using the latest version (v3.6.13)?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Misconfigured anti-virus products can cause this sort of thing. If you have such running, try disabling it for a time.

SandersOnSite.Com.au

SandersOnSite.Com.au

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this exact problem.

I fixed it by uninstalling both Java and flash player.

Cheers
Jay

disberg

disberg

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Jay

I don't know what the issue is you are trying to deal with, however using FireFox and IE I found were really irritating with all kind of issues.

So-o-o, I switched to Opera. I had heard about it but with experimenting with different browsers I always seemed to go back to FF/IE. Now I am happy. Try it - it may resolve many issues for you.

It is definitely different, however the same in many ways. It wasn't a big learning curve. Just do a search in Google for the link.

Hope this helps.

disberg