Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer connects to two networks automatically

• Please log in to reply

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am on a Dell xps 420 with vista and whenever I try to connect to my router(wired) it automatically connects to two networks called network which is private and unidentified network which is public. I have tried disabling them but if you only disable one it disables the other and then comes back when I connect again.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do you have iTunes installed.

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The reason I asked is beacuse Bonjour is loaded with iTunes and has been known to cause this.
When you go Network connections what is shown pls.
Send a screenshot if you can.

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry I can't take a screen shot but what it says is

Local Area Connection
Network, Unidentified network
Intel® 82566DC-2 gigabit network connection

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How long have you had this problem and can you connect that date with the install of any program etc.

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Never mind I just got it working. I disabled the LaN and enabled it again and that seemed to fix it. Not sure why it didn't work before. Thanks for the help though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have a feeling it will come back as soon as you reboot.

If the computer is NOT part of a network then the problem is more than likely the settings - it is either that someone has altered settings from automaticall obtain IP address and DNS Server, that is right click the connection click properties click on the window TCP/IP, then click properties again on that and on alternate configuration you will see user configured.
If that has been set all sorts of problems can occur.

Alternatively as per the question I asked before an installed program has caused it..

Ensure that if it should NOT be, that the computer has not been setu, as part of a network.
In a home or small office network that has Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enabled, there are two network connections, one public and one private

I am signing off, please post back if it DOES reappear and the information I have given you does not enable you to fix it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 February 2011 - 08:25 PM.