Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer suddenly turns off

• Please log in to reply

archmonkey

archmonkey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently bought a second hand computer from a friend (bad idea, I know, but I'm poor). He said it worked fine, and he installed all the required programs etc, so I believe him that it was working. The first time I plugged it in at home, it turned off within 5 minuets. This repeated each time I tried to turn it on, the longest time being about 1.5 hours the shortest 1 second. I say it "turned off" because it does not shutdown, just simply switches off. I also tried running the computer without windows, but it still turned off.

After talking to father and brother techies, we decided the power supply was faulty. I replaced the power supply, and it then stayed on for 9+ hours. I then proceeded to pay for the computer game that I specifically bought the computer for, and 5 minuets into the game, it turns off again (it had been running for many hours before that point). It's a online subscription game, so I want to fix the problem ASAP.

I thought maybe the graphics card is causing an emergency shutdown, though I find it strange that replacing the power supply has allowed it to run when not playing games. All fans are running and heat sinks are dust free. I have tried to run the computer with a graphics card borrowed from my brother, but then the computer won't turn on at all. I am now running the computer without the graphics card driver to see what happens, but in the end I need to get it to play my expensive online game.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

archmonkey

Computer specs:
HP xw4300 Workstation
-P4 3.6Ghz Processor
-2Gb RAM
-2 X 80 GB hardrives
-NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 graphics card
-430W Termaltake power supply (previously a 460W no brand)

Edited by archmonkey, 19 February 2011 - 08:55 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi archmonkey, :D In order to help you we need more information.

Please supply your system specification including brand and model, if applicable.

We will get back to you.

Edited by iammykyl, 19 February 2011 - 07:24 PM.

archmonkey

archmonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, I've added to my original post.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I would say you still have a PSU problem. I advise not to run the computer as you could fry components if it goes bad.

YOUR INSTALLED psu, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153023 has, I think, not enough amps on the 12v rails. It will struggle to power the system, shut down when, to many amps drawn, overheat, or the graphics card will stop working without enough amp. You will probable find your borrowed card needed 20+ amps and would not fire up.

I have been unable to find the exact amps needed by the NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400, the Quadro range is based on a mainstream card's chipset, but is optimised for wireframe and vertex performance rather than fill-rate so not so good for gaming.

Can you return the PSU and exchange for one of these, or something like. Make sure it is from a good brand manufacturer.

Here are 2 PSUs for you to consider, >
http://www.newegg.co...D371%2D007%2DTS

Edited by iammykyl, 20 February 2011 - 02:46 AM.

archmonkey

archmonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks iammykyl. That's good advice. I was considering getting a higher voltage power supply and now I'm more confident to spend the money.

Thanks again for your time.

Geek09

Geek09

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Have you checked the event log? You can find it in the control panel.
It may give you a bit of detail of what is causing it.
Also try running a memtest86+ as it could be a memory problem

Any shut down problem like this, I have noticed it has most of the time being the computer overheating.
Try SpeedFan and see if anything is going hot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before investing in a new PSU you should check the voltages on this one to see if it is faulty.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image