Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Electrical Security Issue

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Yesterday I had a power failure of about 2 seconds and as a result my internal modem got cooked. Previous to that I used to connect my telephone line to the pc by via a surge protector strip. I had been in contact with my ISP and they advised me not to connect in that fashion that the phone line should be connected directly to the in-jack of my pc. Now I am beginning to wonder had it been connected via the surge protector power strip that i could have saved my modem. However its gone and that's the end of it. I called my ISP and they said that they do no support such practice. I then spoke to my usual PC repair company, and they told me that that's what those power strips are for to protect your computer. So now I don't know what to believe. Anyway I took a modem from an older pc(Windows 98SE) and installed it, with the result being an appreciable drop in internet speed.

After making the change I went the following route: Control Panel > Phone & Modems > Advanced > and on that final screen there are two boxes one which says Add and the other Remove. It also indicates that original burnt modem "is not present". Do I need to add the new modem, as it is indicated as being connected. I plan to buy a new modem on Monday, so maybe i should wait, but you can advise me on this, whether its worth the work until I get the new one and also if it should be connected via the power strip. When i speak of connecting through the power strip I am referring to the in and out phone jacks of the power strip, as well as the electrical 120 volt hookup.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The surge protector power strip is not the best way to go because it will only handle surges in the power. It will not handle brownouts (low voltage) or what is called dirty power.
With that said, I would have still had the phone line connected through it as a "just in case". There is no way of knowing if it would have prevented the loss on the internal modem.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I dont believe it was a brown-out as i looked at the light when it flickered and it was a complete shut off and on again.