Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KeyBoard problem

• Please log in to reply

UncleDave

UncleDave

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm running Windows XP on my DeskTop. My wireless keyboard quit responding about two weeks ago. I replaced it with a wired USB and still having the same problem. I'm able to access the BIOs with the keyboard but haven't made any changes. I have a online keyboard that I use to access any online drivers if needed. I gone into the Hardward program in Windows and there is no keyboard listed under keyboards (not sure if this is normal). I also (not sure if related)keep getting a box that pops up saying found new hardware and to install. I followed the sequence to load the hardward (thinking it could be for the keyboard drivers) but it cannot find anything and wants a disk...which I don't have. The message will not go away even if I cancel it. Please advise.

Note: My kids use this PC for gaming/online activities and down loading all sorts of stuff.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My kids ... down loading all sorts of stuff.

Yeah, that's scary. Have you scanned for malware?

Have you tried other USB ports? I am assuming the wireless keyboard used a USB adapter too. You might see if your computer supports a PS/2 keyboard, the small round connector type. If so, a simple USB to PS/2 adapter should work. If the keyboard works then you know you have a USB port problem.

UncleDave

UncleDave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I have tried a different USB port with same results.