Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Embarrassingingly basic question re XP

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
With my XP pc .... When I click
Start\All Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Word 2003
I open Word 2003.

When I click the MyComputer icon and then Local Disk C I see a raft of files (shown as yellow file folders) and a bunch of other items, some of which indicate Word files and some which indicate PDF files. But I do not see the Word 2003 program itself. Why not?

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Because more than likely, MS Word is installed to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office directory.

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Cold Titanium: Thanks.

But when I click on
My Computer\C-drive\Program Files\MS Office
I see only Media, Office 12, Stationary, Office 11, PowerPoint Viewer, and Templates. Where is Word 2003 itself?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on the Word 2003 in Start\All Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Word 2003 and then go to Properties.
The first line in the new window is Target
That is where the Word 2003 is located at. :D :D

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
Hello again rshaffer61: When I look at Properties, per your suggestion, I see "Microsoft Basic Word Edition 2003" in the Target slot, all clouded out (not bold). But what does that tell me? I still can't find Word 2003 in the listings in My Computer under C:\. Still puzzled; fortunately, not serious. ... Batpark

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The office products get installed in the My Computer\C-drive\Program Files\MS Office folder. The executables for excel, power point, word, etc are within that folder.

Attached Thumbnails

• MS Office 2000.jpg

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
123Runner: But, as I have said, when I do C:\Programs Files\MS Office, I get only I see only Media, Office 12, Stationary, Office 11, PowerPoint Viewer, and Templates. No Office??? Could Office be within one of these; I sure don't see it anywhere.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you redo my instructions and take a screenshot of the window with the target line? :D

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I too have MS Office 2003 on my own XP-Pro PC, but it's not where you say you're looking. I find the actual programs, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\(all installed Office programs)

Take a look there.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Shadow for the assist.

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, I actually screwed up when I installed office 2003, because I usually do a CUSTOM install and put all the program files on my D: drive. I must have been half asleep when I did the last install.

But quite often, windows just puts things where you'd least expect to find them.

I loved the DOS days where you could put things where you could find them. Oh well.......

Cheers mates! Happy Presidents Day :D

Shadow :D

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
The Shadow, Others: Yes, that is exactly as my system is et up. Who knew? Thanks a million. ...batpark

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job guys for the information and TheShadowFL very good and precise advice.
Congratulations Batpark for a successful resolution to your issue.
:D ;) :D :D